.223, .243, 22-250 or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a caliber that can be used for keeping the coyotes away from the house but needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Low recoil (The missus is recoil adverse due to medical issues.)
2. Powerful enough to kill a coyote if needed.
3. Cost effective to allow practice. (Ideally something that can be had for less than $0.30 a round. The cheaper the better.)
4. Generally easy to find ammo available.

I have an SKS but it's just a little to much for her to handle weight and recoil wise. (And that's with a 12 gauge recoil pad added to it.)
upload_2020-4-13_12-9-54.png

I'm looking into something like the Savage Axis but recommendations on this are also welcome.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to get anything but a 223 to meet your criteria. Nothing wrong with the Savage Axis bolt action but also look at the Thompson Center Compass bolt action. I wouldn't overlook an AR-15 either you can build some of those pretty light and should have a little less recoil than a bolt action.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No reason to get anything but a 223 to meet your criteria. Nothing wrong with the Savage Axis bolt action but also look at the Thompson Center Compass bolt action. I wouldn't overlook an AR-15 either you can build some of those pretty light and should have a little less recoil than a bolt action.

I've thought about the AR-15, but I've never had one and don't know what to look for in one. Kind of one of those "to many options" issues.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If recoil is too much on the sks then .243 would not please her.
My wife did not like the 243 bolt gun at all because of recoil.

Once she shot the .223 she was pleased.
Perfect Deer coyote/hog gun in my book. I find myself reaching for my Savage axis in .223 more than any other rifle I have.
Unless the distance is past 300 yards and I need to kill deer then the .308 or 30-06 gets chosen.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If recoil is too much on the sks then .243 would not please her.
My wife did not like the 243 bolt gun at all because of recoil.

Once she shot the .223 she was pleased.
Perfect Deer coyote/hog gun in my book. I find myself reaching for my Savage axis in .223 more than any other rifle I have.
Unless the distance is past 300 yards and I need to kill deer then the .308 or 30-06 gets chosen.

Distance to the wood-line from the back door varies between 30-60 yards.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't disagree with any of that. If your not looking to load your own ammo only thing even close to .30 a round is .223 Those TC guns have great reviews everywhere. Savage Axis /xp also have a large following. Only real difference is warranty. Savage is 1year. TC is lifetime also they have a newer TC Compass 2 that is supposed to have an improved trigger. I haven't seen one in person yet.

Adding @Cowcatcher he is a coyote expert shall we say. With experience with various calibers being spoke of above.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've thought about the AR-15, but I've never had one and don't know what to look for in one. Kind of one of those "to many options" issues.
Before this latest surge in gun sales you could get an AR-15 for around $350 from PSA.

Nothing fancy but just snap the complete upper and lower together, add sights, a magazine, ammo and you're ready to go.

I haven't looked lately but you might check there if you're interested in one.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 would be the cheapest and most common ammo, and the Savage Axis you mentioned, a Ruger American, or Remington 783 would all probably be plenty accurate enough and not expensive.

I have a 22-250 I would sell, pm me if you want to discuss, but it's a Rem 700 so one of the above would probably be less expensive. Ballistics are better though, in the 4000 fps range or just below.

And unless you reload, you can't get 22-250 as cheap as .223, and some places might not stock it (although it's not at all uncommon).

Latest posts

Top Bottom