22LR for carry...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was recently an article in the American Rifleman on the Colt Woodsman. In the article, the author related the story of a night watchman who carried a Woodsman as his duty arm. When questioned about it (as concerns the diminutive caliber), the man replied that he practiced regularly and a perpetrator would have ten rounds in him (in vital regions) before he hit the floor.

My wife carries a P22. While not as practiced as the night watchman in the article nor her husband, I dare say she would have a 100% chance in a confrontation. Using her P238 or her Service Six, her chances go down to 80% and 50% respectively.

It is all about practice. If you are not comfortable with your weapon, you will not likely become practiced.

Her P22 eats whatever I give her to feed it. It is not exactly in the same condition it was when bought. They need TLC "as issued". Polish here and there, lap the slide & frame, etc. Her "duty" rounds are CCI, do not recall the cool name of them. They are copper plated solids. They need to drill deep and hurt important things, not try to expand to the size of a .45 just past the epidermis.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI Mini-Mags for sure!

I agree with CCI Mini Mags. We keep a S&W M&P .22 Compact loaded up with the 40gr solids "handy" in a specific, easy to reach location "just in case". Kinda like we keep a small kitchen fire extinguisher handy too. I have never had a malfunction of any kind with this ammo in this gun and both the wife and I have shot a boat-load of them through it. It's really all about reliability in your handgun with the specific ammo you choose in the case of .22LR zmmunition. I trust the CCI well enough to feel like I have at least 11 (loaded up 10+1) shots at the ready pretty much all the time.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She shot about 100 rounds yesterday several different types and brands. Not a single problem. I am going to get her another magazine, she had two with the gun when it was bought but the spare has been lost of the EX has it. I will check with him and see if he does. Loading the mag is hard for her, a couple extra loaded is what she needs.

Thanks for all the info and input.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do ya'll prefer the Mini-mags over the Stingers?
'cos those Stingers will blow up your gun!

Only partly tongue in cheek - I'm guessing it's the warnings ... CCI says "Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions." which should include "most" current .22LR rifles and pistols. Older boxes of Stingers had this warning:
picturearchive.gunauction.com_749124926_7626712_d44de78d45b32dcd0c7d095f75b269cb.jpg

Ruger has this one regarding the chambering of their 10/22 Target rifles:
www.yankeegunnuts.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_09_ScreenHunter_01_Sep._07_21.18.jpg

... and then there are threads like this one about match grade chambers and eccessive (sic) wear:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=192173

Latest posts

Top Bottom