22LR Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was asked to recommend a good buy for a 22. I have had the M&P for the recent years, so I don’t know much about any of the new pieces that have come on the market to where I would feel good about recommending any of them.

So, what do you think?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as good buys go, this is what I'd suggest from what I've shot recently:

Pistol - I don't own one personally, but a co-worker of mine who recently started getting into shooting with us bought a Taurus TX22. I have to say that it is a fantastic pistol. Very comfortable, comes with two 16 round magazines, reliable, easy to strip & clean. I've shot it several times and it's definitely a winner. I believe it also won the Guns & Ammo pistol of the year award for 2019. They can be found from $300-350, and I'd have zero hesitation recommending the TX22 to anyone looking for an affordable .22 pistol. I like it better than my G42 (only because of the G42's 10 round capacity) and my Ruger Mark IV, and it's cheaper than both of those.

Rifle - The same co-worker mentioned earlier also bought a little Rossi semi-auto rifle. I memory serves it was an RS22. Around a $100, and he shoots it at 50 and 100 yards at Lexington all the time (he even went to Fouled Bore once with us and we hit 300 yards once or twice with it!). He put a cheap little Wal-Mart scope on it, and a $20 bi-pod, and that little thing just shoots all day. This rifle uses the exact same mags as a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. You can buy 25 round magazines for $25-30. I got to say he did his research beforehand and I've been extremely impressed with the value he's received with both of the .22lr firearms he's purchased this past year.

All that being said, you can never go wrong with a Henry Golden Boy!

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to say pistol.

I have seen some good reviews on the Taurus and the Kel-Tec PT17, but I don’t like to give a recommendation based on reviews that could well be paid statements.

The TX22 is one that I thought might be good for him. He has limited handgun experience and is looking for something for he and his 10yr old son.

And I have a growing interest in the Wrangler for myself.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was asked to recommend a good buy for a 22. I have had the M&P for the recent years, so I don’t know much about any of the new pieces that have come on the market to where I would feel good about recommending any of them.

So, what do you think?

For an adult? A kid? Rifle or pistol? Use? Well, here's a few that come to mind that I like:

In general, the Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60 are good starter auto rifles. Ruger's American is a good bolt action. For a couple hundred more, you could step up to the CZ line. (Mine is a 455). Accuracy of the CZ's is incredible. As far as pistols, Ruger MK series, and the SR-22. The S&W M&P .22 Compact is great. ( I have one and like the heck out of it). Browning Buckmarks are a good pistol too. Of course, there's many more, and I'm sure others will add to the list.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger SR22
Ruger MK
Buckmark
Bersa Thunder 22
Ruger LCP II 22
Wrangler
and new Kel Tec CP33 come to mind

Edit: Some already mentioned. Don't forget a S&W 617 in the classifieds.

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks folks. You have good things to say about the ones that I wanted to suggest, but had no on hand experience.

I’m having lunch with this guy today, so we’ll see which way he goes.

Thank you for some good knowledge, as always!

Latest posts

Top Bottom