This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they figure most "ND's" are from Doofus's who open carry and then show other doofus their gun while sitting around in the building and BANG!

Another point is the “no loaded firearms” in the building rule. This rule has been in place for over 20 years...if you are concealed carrying, please feel free to do so. We do have a “no holster draw” rule on our general firing line though. Because of this rule, we cannot accommodate open-carry configurations. More often than not, our customers desire to shoot their open-carry piece. Since the general firing line is not set up to accommodate draw and presentation, we had to make a range rule that open-carried firearms must be made safe (mag out, slide locked open, safe-chamber indicator inserted) before proceeding to the firing line. Other ranges have similar rules for the same reason: it is impossible for a shooter to draw their piece from the holster without another shooter being in front of the muzzle. However, unlike most other ranges, we are working on a solution - we have plans to accommodate draw and presentation practice on another part of the range. We feel that this skill is a fundamental that should be practiced by anyone that carries a self-defense piece. This skill should also be practiced in a location that doesn’t put other shooters in danger. We want to accommodate - thank you for your patience!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's most likely a case of being difficult to enforce "No holster draw" as one could quickly draw, shoot, and holster while the RO is looking elsewhere and without seeing you do it they can't say much. On the other hand, if the rule is no open carry, and they see your sidearm, they can say something before the previous issue ever arises.

Not saying it's the necessarily right way to handle it, but I can see the logic. And I also know there are to many bad apples that would do exactly what I described.
I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with what happens on the firing line. There are displayed weapons on the firing line </shrug>. They don't seem to have a problem with it being "open" (unconcealed) on the firing line. It appears they just want it concealed in the lobby.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with what happens on the firing line. There are displayed weapons on the firing line </shrug>. They don't seem to have a problem with it being "open" (unconcealed) on the firing line. It appears they just want it concealed in the lobby.
Silly rule. Our gun club rules in Ponca specifically state that its a cold range, (all weapons unloaded until ready to fire at the firing line) with exception to current CC or Open carry laws on the books at the time. We have folks show up at club meetings all the time with one on the hip, and I'm betting 99% have one concealed. Nobody looks for a safe space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom