2A Political Activism, the ORA and You/Us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread... there are currently two open seats on the ORA Board of Directors.

Indeed, NE and SW Regional Directors.

Wonder how long have they been vacant and why...

Sounds like all of OSA's NE members need to join the ORA and nominate Glocktogo for the NE Regional Director slot! LOL. Sorry GTG....

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, why not form the OSA into an active group? I'd be happy to give money to an active group comprised of OSA members and dedicated to being able to "bear" firearms for the purpose of self defense as well as sport. Then we could organize and make a difference. Unless we organize, the state legislature will view us a just a bunch of rednecks b*t%&ing on a forum.

I know it would be a large time investment for the moderators of the site but if they'd organize a meeting, I'd be there for sure.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indeed, NE and SW Regional Directors.

Wonder how long have they been vacant and why...

Sounds like all of OSA's NE members need to join the ORA and nominate Glocktogo for the NE Regional Director slot! LOL. Sorry GTG....

HAHA!!! According to my boss I'm not very good at politics. Something about stepping on too many toes or some such nonsense! :D

On a serious note, I'd be quite interested to know why the slots are vacant. Did they die off, get busy with other life priorities, or just get fed up? I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with entrenched know it all's who haven't kept up with the past 40 odd years of progress. I already have to deal with entrenched Beltway Buffoons who haven't been alive for that long!

tagillespie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, why not form the OSA into an active group? I'd be happy to give money to an active group comprised of OSA members and dedicated to being able to "bear" firearms for the purpose of self defense as well as sport. Then we could organize and make a difference. Unless we organize, the state legislature will view us a just a bunch of rednecks b*t%&ing on a forum.

I know it would be a large time investment for the moderators of the site but if they'd organize a meeting, I'd be there for sure.

See www.ok2a.org

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As evidenced waaay above, there was an attempt made to "join 'em to beat 'em". It hasn't turned out well. I have since let my membership lapse, and they won't be getting any of my money anytime soon. That is, until the organization is gutted and replaced with people who actually support the 2nd. Just didn't want to let my post in this thread from long ago stand without an update.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
There was a fair sized group of the regulars on OSA went to one of their board meetings a few years ago. Skydiver was one of them. There was quite a bit of interaction for the first few months after with one of the board members posting here as Mr Shooter (if I remember right) and I've had a few phone calls with him since. The leadership of the ORA just doesn't seem to be to open to expanding their organization or taking much input from those outside the inner circle. I don't subscribe any evil motivation to that, just set in their ways mostly.
One of the problems I see with the way it works is in part do to the size of our state and what it takes to actually be able to lobby at the Capitol. I am not able to jump and run to OKC at a moments notice to discuss issues with the legislators, it's 3+ hours one way drive for me. I doubt there are many on this board that could. It just about takes someone who lives in the OKC area and doesn't have a day job (retired?), can jump and run to the Capitol on short notice or is a full time lobbiest to get it done.
Another part of the problem is the way our legislature works, they cram in the years business in basically a 5 month session. Not nessecarily a bad thing, they can do no harm while not in session. It takes a pretty serious time committment to keep up with what they are doing.
I'm frustrated as hell about it but I don't know what the answer is.

As far as the open directors seats, the NE slot has been open for as long as I have been paying attention to the ORA.

ETA - I went back and re-read my OP and still stand by my basic opinion of the organization but ...

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was once a member of ORA. I have several friends who are members. I like every one of them I have ever met.

However, I'm not interested in lobbying to improve hunting laws in Oklahoma.

I'm interested in working to restore our 2nd ammendment to mean what it says.

That is why I joined OK2A instead. The first OK2A meeting I attended had 5 state reps at the meeting. Not as guest speakers, as Oklahomans there with their sleeves rolled up to pitch in and help.

In my humble opinion OK2A is where the rubber meets the road on issues I'm concerned with.

If our laws were like that in Calif or NJ, the young woman who was forced to shoot the intruder last month in Blanchard would be in Jail now waiting to clear her name. Here, because of our relatively new laws, she never saw the inside of the jail. I doubt she was handcuffed even for a moment.

We have done a lot of good work but we are not finished.

50Shooter

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for OK2A. Crashed their Guthrie county meeting the other day and got to meet Don Spencer, who is on the ball as a volunteer "lobbyist". Had Mike Pearson (county commissioner) and a few other folks. I will be going to the next one.

B

Bill Mac

I have known of the ORA for a number of years but have never attended any of their meetings because as some have said here, it didn't seem like they were that active. I can understand that a lot of things go on behind the scenes in any organization. I read about the OK2A in this forum recently and do plan to attend their next meeting at H&H on April 17th. Does the OSA have regular meetings? I have never seen anything advertised for any regular meetings but may not have been looking in the right places. I believe that we should all be actively involved in any 2A organization that we can afford to join. Being unemployed, my resources are limited these days but I do maintain my NRA membership without fail. Someday soon I hope to be able to pay for a life membership with them and any other 2A groups that I can afford to. Until then I will try to be active in any that I find out about. If we could get all 80 million plus gun owners in the country to do the same, what clout we would have!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom