3-Gun for IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've considered running Defensive Multi-Gun at the USSA IDPA match once the weather improves. If so, it would probably done as a separate match immediately after the regular pistol match. I don't want to drive pistol only shooters away by making combined stages a part of the regular match.

We would probably start off with pistol/rifle or pistol/shotgun rather than all three right off the bat. Makes it easier to haul your stuff around.

Comments anyone? :anyone:

Completely agree. I shoot the IDPA match at USSA when I can. I dont have the money to invest in more guns right now but would love the option of trying a 2 or 3 gun tournament in this area.

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
I've considered running Defensive Multi-Gun at the USSA IDPA match once the weather improves. If so, it would probably done as a separate match immediately after the regular pistol match. I don't want to drive pistol only shooters away by making combined stages a part of the regular match.

We would probably start off with pistol/rifle or pistol/shotgun rather than all three right off the bat. Makes it easier to haul your stuff around.

Comments anyone? :anyone:

FWIW, I really like this approach!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like we have some interest. I still have to brush up on the COF rules for DMG a bit, but it will basically be IDPA with long guns added. Shorter COF's overall than USPSA or 3-gun, but with the option to shoot straight pistols in the AM, then two guns in the PM, the round count would be up there a bit overall.

Most stages would either have you fighting your way to the pre-staged long gun with a pistol, or starting with the rifle and then transitioning to the pistol when the long gun was empty. It would have the occasional mandated long gun reload, and a few straight up long gun stages now and then.

Most DMG stages would be a variation of the AM pistol stages. This could range from adding longer range targets for rifle, steel for shottys and/or moving the starting position back further. As this is a work in progress, suggestions are encouraged, so long as they fall within DMG rules.

When we get closer to making this happen, I'll post a poll on whether whether we should start with rifle or shotgun! :)

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely shotgun! If you decide to go rifle, it's gotta be worthwhile...200 or 300 yards.

BTW, I'll let anyone shoot my totally pimped lightning fast Accurate Iron Benelli M1!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of merit to starting with a shotty. While rifles are catching on quick for HD work, most folks still have a pump 12ga stashed behind a door for HD if they use a long gun at all.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of merit to starting with a shotty. While rifles are catching on quick for HD work, most folks still have a pump 12ga stashed behind a door for HD if they use a long gun at all.

Good point. In addition to being almost too much fun, I also think many people will be surprised by the devastation a shotgun can wreak. 6 months ago I hadn't a clue...nowadays it would be weapon of choice for any soft target inside of 100 yards.

I was also shocked when I learned that a semi auto shotgun could be totally reloaded inside of 6 seconds. ;)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jerry, it might give more incentive to get my lazy butt up there for this match. Actually, it would probably make it happen.

And start with shotgun! I do love me some shotgun...

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plenty of loaners to go around!

How would IDPA 3-gun differ from USPSA other than scoring?

Have you read their rules?

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_DMG_rules_07062010.pdf

Less shooting, no movement, 10 rounds or less of shotgun per stage and you gotta conceal your long guns in a trench coat.

Just kidding about the concealment.

Thing thing that I dislike most about IDPA and all the forced rules is the limit on round count. Most gun fights are under 10 rounds so why shoot 18? If the reason is more shooting is just more practice them why limit it to only 18?

I am all for lower round counts to encourage shooters with less ammo budget to shoot too. Its just hard to spend $50 on gad to druve to tulsa to shoot $20 in ammo. With tgatcsaud I know Jerry puts in a good match so ill give it shot because i love me some 3 gun.

I think you will get more shooters with USPSA or outlaw 3 gun rules.

Latest posts

Top Bottom