3-Gun for IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Z Sr.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I cast alot of bullets!!!! My girl and I shot 122 matches last year and my son about 55, that's alot of lead !!!! I would hate to think about how much that would have cost in store bought bullets, the powder and primers alone cost alot.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you will get more shooters with USPSA or outlaw 3 gun rules.

I think a lot of folks thought this at first when IDPA first came out and everyone wanted to trash it as IPSC-Lite and I Don't Practice Anyway.

Then IDPA became wildly popular with beginning shooters.

And just about any experienced MD knows, beginning shooters make the match since they vastly outnumber good shooters.

USPSA tends to cater to the good shooters and that is certainly their decision.

Looking at the two sports' magazines gives real insight into what and whom they consider important. USPSA puts JJ Racaza or Chris Tilley on the cover. IDPA puts some woman none of us know on the cover. USPSA's magazine articles tend to cover what the good shooters do at matches; IDPA's magazine tends to focus on the needs of the average shooter in IDPA or the average beginner.

Personally I'm a Life Member of USPSA and always renew my First 100 IDPA membership even though I haven't shot a match in years because I think it's important to keep both sports around so that folks will have choices for as long as we can go armed.

I don't have a good answer for why this is the case but it is my personal observation.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of folks thought this at first when IDPA first came out and everyone wanted to trash it as IPSC-Lite and I Don't Practice Anyway.

Then IDPA became wildly popular with beginning shooters.

And just about any experienced MD knows, beginning shooters make the match since they vastly outnumber good shooters.

USPSA tends to cater to the good shooters and that is certainly their decision.

Looking at the two sports' magazines gives real insight into what and whom they consider important. USPSA puts JJ Racaza or Chris Tilley on the cover. IDPA puts some woman none of us know on the cover. USPSA's magazine articles tend to cover what the good shooters do at matches; IDPA's magazine tends to focus on the needs of the average shooter in IDPA or the average beginner.

Personally I'm a Life Member of USPSA and always renew my First 100 IDPA membership even though I haven't shot a match in years because I think it's important to keep both sports around so that folks will have choices for as long as we can go armed.

I don't have a good answer for why this is the case but it is my personal observation.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

I'm sorry that you I didnt clarify myself better. We have a large 3 gun following here in OK. You would know that if you shot a match with us sometime??? We don't want watered down 3 gun. We want the real deal!!! It's not worth driving from OKC to Tulsa for a 50 round match.

You do make a good point though about average shooters attending pistol matches.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you I didnt clarify myself better. We have a large 3 gun following here in OK. You would know that if you shot a match with us sometime??? We don't want watered down 3 gun. We want the real deal!!! It's not worth driving from OKC to Tulsa for a 50 round match.

You do make a good point though about average shooters attending pistol matches.

Perhaps I wasn't clear either.

New shooters, not current dedicated shooters, are the life-blood of competition shooting. Those with significant devotion to the sport are still a small number compared to the large untapped gun owners market.

IDPA successfully tapped into this pool despite the larger round count matches that USPSA has been doing for years, so I don't think round count was a factor to anyone but dedicated shooters.

The current crop of 3-gunners, the "we" you refer to, isn't who IDPA or this particular match is seeking to attract although I'm sure both would gladly welcome their participation and experience.

There is plenty of room for both types of events and customers for both.

Michael Brown

CD107

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to shoot a 3 gun match! My question is what tyupe of long guns would be used? I'm currenty long gun poor (own SKS and a couple Mosins) but would love to shoot some matches with my Mossberg 590.

Latest posts

Top Bottom