3 Gun? What Shotgun Do You Use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd like to get an auto loader before the next match. I was thinking about just going ahead and getting an FN, but if they're starting to go TU now I might hold off.

I've heard of lots of mods on Benellis to get them to shoot light loads, and I've heard they run right out of the box. How much work does a stock M1/M2 need for 3-gun?

I think you would be safe with the FN. I am not sure aboutthe light load thing, maybe from an M2, but I prefer the M1 anyway. You can find them on-line in real good shape for ~$600.

Mike

Aldrin44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who are thinking about a Saiga and building it out yourself for 3gun...

Rules: Some matches will let you shoot tactical if you don't have a red dot and comp. Some matches will lump you into open just for the box magazine.

Conversion: You'll probably want to convert your gun to a pistol grip. Be sure to familiarize yourself with 922r. The actual conversion is easy if you follow the online guides and go slow.

Loads: The Saigas are built to run full power loads and 3gun competitions are all about bird shot, low recoil slugs and low recoil buckshot. You'll have to play around with different springs, gas pistons and gas plug settings to find a reliable combo for all of the things you will shoot. Oh, and lots of polishing of parts. Just know that all Saigas are different and getting them to run takes a fair amount of work.

Some other good sites to checkout in addition to the ones Jesse mentioned:
http://forum.saiga-12.com/
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront
and the shotgun-technical forum at Brianenos.com

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you would be safe with the FN. I am not sure aboutthe light load thing, maybe from an M2, but I prefer the M1 anyway. You can find them on-line in real good shape for ~$600.

Mike

If you find one for $600 buy it fast as it won't last. The best I could find last summer/fall was $750-800 for a used M1 in above average condition. Some guy was selling well worn police trade ins for $600 on gun broker at that same time though.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spiff the light load issue is usually with the pistol griped shotguns...stay away from them. I could post tons of info about it but I have done so so many times I now just say no. If you are real interested go to Brian Enos's forums and look it all up. KurtM

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lemme go ahead and pardon my ignorance before asking this question because I know absolutely nothing about 3-gun shoots and not much more on the berettas.

Would the beretta extrema 2 not be a good gun in this competition. From the small amount I have read about them on the internet, they appear to be a quality semi-auto shotgun with extremely low recoil which I would assume would be rather beneficial to the shooter. Is it because they are field guns, not designed for the wear of competition or ?? Once again, excuse my ignorance :)

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are a few beretta's out there. The one thing I have seen about the beretta extremas is that they make great hunting guns. They are a bit too heavy and they just don't have the cyclic rate of the Benelli's. I love beretta's and a beretta is what I used in international skeet but I think benelli is the way to go.

stewball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is my advice to the new shooters (of which I consider myself). You have to decide whether you want to shoot to win or just to have fun. If for fun, any equipment is fine until you decide what level you wish to participate. If you want to win, all you have to do is look at the scores on the past matches. Most of the same guys and gals place near or at the top, the reason being that they are very good and dedicated to their sport. It would be wise to heed their advice. To beat them is not an easy matter, but having fun is a cinch. The main thing is, just come out and join us and see how much fun it is! IMHO

Stew

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is my advice to the new shooters (of which I consider myself). You have to decide whether you want to shoot to win or just to have fun. If for fun, any equipment is fine until you decide what level you wish to participate. If you want to win, all you have to do is look at the scores on the past matches. Most of the same guys and gals place near or at the top, the reason being that they are very good and dedicated to their sport. It would be wise to heed their advice. To beat them is not an easy matter, but having fun is a cinch. The main thing is, just come out and join us and see how much fun it is! IMHO

Stew

Here, here!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Stew

This.

Latest posts

Top Bottom