300 Black Out Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have the components, try 18gr H110 with a 125gr bullet. It's proven to be the best one I've tried supersonic, both in my rifle and tried in justin_h635's it shot well. Curious to see if it could be stock issues, etc. and not just the loads.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your not going to get much better than 1.5 MOA with subs IMHO. Now that being said that is very well within minute of deer at 100 yards and in which is really about as far as I would want to take a sub round due to the holdover you would have to use much past that. Now with supers I am consistently getting about .85.95 MOA out of my AAC 16" upper with my loads using 125 SST's. I havent started back working on subs with this gun yet but I highly doubt it will be sub MOA. But Again 2-3 MOA is fine with deer shots 100 yards and in.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend spending some time on 300blktalk.com and look at some of the subsonic pet loads to use for reference. I know you listed some of the brands of bullets you've tried, but you didn't mention bullet type... You mentioned 208s, I would guess these are A-max? Have you tried 220 SMKs or any cast bullets? For bolt guns a lot of guys prefer coated cast FN bullets in the 230-250 grain flavors. There is a 240 grain FP bullet/mold designed for 300 blackout. A1680 is the powder of choice for 300blk subs, but is quite elusive.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For clarification. This gun won't be used to hunt with. At all. It's just a paper punching rig. He isn't a hunter. Just a shooter.

I will check out that forum. Basically I was just trying to express the fact that I/we have tried no less than 30-40 differ combinations of bullets, powders, etc. and so far a factory load has performed best.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300 blackout is definitely a special case; good luck on your search for that rifle's preferred round - with the 1:7 twist I would be looking at heavier, longer bullets. If you would like to try some coated cast bullets (safe for cans) give me a shout.

There really is a ton of excellent info at 300blktalk that should help. Again, good luck! I'm curious to hear what ends up working best.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend spending some time on 300blktalk.com and look at some of the subsonic pet loads to use for reference. I know you listed some of the brands of bullets you've tried, but you didn't mention bullet type... You mentioned 208s, I would guess these are A-max? Have you tried 220 SMKs or any cast bullets? For bolt guns a lot of guys prefer coated cast FN bullets in the 230-250 grain flavors. There is a 240 grain FP bullet/mold designed for 300 blackout. A1680 is the powder of choice for 300blk subs, but is quite elusive.

This is where I got my subsonic info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom