300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we should stay away from the idea that one caliber like the 30-06 is a do all gun. How do we justify buying all these different guns to the wives if one gun can do it all ? lol

When Hillary puts a $1k tax on each one, you will be looking for the one that will do it all LOL!

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best bud bought a BN36 about three months ago. I WILL have one at some point. He is getting <= 1.5 MOA with HXP & FN milsurp feed. The thing is an absolute joy to shoot. We have wrung it out from the bench as well as "Mad Minute Mag Dumps". It is a little "worse" to hump around than our beloved FNFAL's and M1 (Garand, NOT the "other one").

Ain't much a man can't fix with seven hunnah dollahs and a thurty aught six. (nods to the late Chairman Jeff Cooper)

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we should stay away from the idea that one caliber like the 30-06 is a do all gun. How do we justify buying all these different guns to the wives if one gun can do it all ? lol
"When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

I've got an AR in 300 BLK, and firing it suppressed puts a bit goofy grin on my face. That's enough for me. Buy what you like. Buy what you want. The folks on the forums can be of great help, but you will quickly realize that everybody has an opinion...some people have multiple opinions, take them all (including this one) with a grain of salt.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my 300 Blackout. It does what I need and want it to. I was very hesitant to get an AR (not really my style) but its hard to refute their practicality, so I got one in 300AAC.

Story time for ya: a buddy and I were hog hunting in deep cover at about 2am. I was on one of his 5.56 AR's with a mounted flashlight and a 1911 on my hip. He was on a 5.56 AR with infrared, and a 1911. He spots a hog RIGHT in front of me, like I almost stepped on the damn thing. Brush is so thick I cant see a damn thing then I hear the hog getting restless so I tell him to take the shot. Now the hog is pissed...screaming so loud its almost deafening. So now what, do I drop my AR (which is my source of light) and draw my sidearm or hope for the best? Well I yell at my buddy to keep at it and kill the f'er...so a few shots later he is finally done and I still cant see the damn thing. Needless to say when we got home that night, he ordered 300AAC components and never looked back for his hog gun. Scary stuff.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate it whey they do not die quickly.. sometimes it happens even with a decent kill shot.
I took the skull off of a deer with a 30-30... 3/4 of the brains were gone.. splattered all over the rock behind the deer.
Shot right between the eyes looking at me.
Went down like a rock but when I got over there (30 feet away) the deer was watching me with it's eyes and barely moving it's mouth.

I grabbed a stick really quick and gave the tiny bit of brains that were left a heavy stir and the lights went out.
Yea it is sad and in a mad animal situation it could be scary.

So do you and your buddy think if the shot entered the same place on the hog with the 300AAC it would make a difference?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think the extra energy would have HURT the situation...thats for sure. I'm not saying it would be lights out but I'd imagine it would have helped.
Its over the top but 458 Socom is very intriguing for heavy brush. Drop 'em like a bad habit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom