300 win mag to 7mm-300 win mag conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone had done a build for the 7mm-300 win mag and what you used? Been doing quite a bit of research on it and see it as a super long range build caliber.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the same as the 7mm Practical? I've done quite a bit of reading on it. I like the fact that allows for a longer neck, which is a huge flaw in .300WM imo. If magazine length isn't a big factor for you, I think you'd be better off just finding a 7mm STW. Fun to shoot something different though :)

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious about one thing. If you start with, say a Remington 700 action from a 300 wm and swap barrels what additional work needs to be done? I would think, and I could be very wrong due to lack of knowledge, that if you went from a 7mm to 7mm-300wm you would need a reamer and chamber modifications, but not the other way around.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious about one thing. If you start with, say a Remington 700 action from a 300 wm and swap barrels what additional work needs to be done? I would think, and I could be very wrong due to lack of knowledge, that if you went from a 7mm to 7mm-300wm you would need a reamer and chamber modifications, but not the other way around.

What do you mean by swap barrels? Do you have a Rem. 7mm donor barrel or do you plan on buying a barrel blank?
If I were doing it I would shell out the additional cash, buy a match grade barrel, true the action and chamber/crown the barrel

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swap barrels meaning if, say I bought a used Remington 700 300 wm and wanted to convert it to a 7mm-300. Order a custom 26" Hart barrel then add something like a Jewel trigger and Mcmillian stock....Or just order a new blueprinted action would be best but....as always money is an issue. Was just curious on the used action what all would be required from a gunsmithing perspective.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy a Remington donor magnum action/rifle you could have $400-600 invested. Add another $275 to have a smith work with it plus the cost of a 20moa rail and you have $825-1,025. That doesn’t include a side bolt release, 8-40 threads, recoil lug, pined recoil lug, Sako/M16 style extractor.

Check sites like longrangehunting.com or snipershide.com. You can often find all the parts for a build you need at a reduced price.

There is a stiller TAC300 long action w/magnum bolt face at http://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-action-mag-bolt-face-with-20moa-rail.188729/ for $975. There are also more stocks that fit Remington/clone actions than you can shake a stick at. Often you can find barrel blanks, triggers, and bottom metal. This is the route I would take if I were in your shoes.

You can see what Jon Beanland does to Rem actions here: http://beanlandrifles.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50
He's a well respected smith down at Gould Okla. You could also call or email him for his advice.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy a Remington donor magnum action/rifle you could have $400-600 invested. Add another $275 to have a smith work with it plus the cost of a 20moa rail and you have $825-1,025. That doesn’t include a side bolt release, 8-40 threads, recoil lug, pined recoil lug, Sako/M16 style extractor.

Check sites like longrangehunting.com or snipershide.com. You can often find all the parts for a build you need at a reduced price.

There is a stiller TAC300 long action w/magnum bolt face at http://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-action-mag-bolt-face-with-20moa-rail.188729/ for $975. There are also more stocks that fit Remington/clone actions than you can shake a stick at. Often you can find barrel blanks, triggers, and bottom metal. This is the route I would take if I were in your shoes.

You can see what Jon Beanland does to Rem actions here: http://beanlandrifles.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50
He's a well respected smith down at Gould Okla. You could also call or email him for his advice.
Yep, I'm aware that it will be far from cheap and will need to be done over a period of time. I have one question from your post above, you say, "Add another $275 to have a smith work with it plus the cost of a 20moa rail and you have $825-1,025". What specific "smith work" are you referring to at this point in the build?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith work means action blue printing -

The front of the action is machined true to the centerline of the action...

The rear of the bolt lugs are hand lapped to the action...

The bolt face is true and squared...

Recut and true the action threads...

The bolt lugs are machined true, meaning the front and sides...

The bolt ways are lapped and polished...

The firing pin is replaced with an oversize and lightweight firing pin...

The firing pin spring is replaced with a heavy duty firing pin spring that does not bind or rub inside of the bolt...

The action is drilled and tapped for the larger 8-40 base screws...

All of these things make the Remington 700 action the best it can be. These services are performed on every Remington action that comes into our shop. Do it right or don't do it at all!
And all this runs $275?

A few more questions, since this would be for a 7mm-300 I'm assuming the best action to begin with would be a Rem 300 win mag?
From there if I ordered the Hart barrel in 7mm, you could add that to the action with what additional work to do so?
Could all that be done before the stock was ordered or would it have to be customized for the stock?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did have one other question. I love the Tikka actions and was curious if others have built off this? I know there won't be as many add ons and options but was curious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom