300 WSM or 7 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLSlowTalk

Marksman
Reaction score
So I have a bone stock Rem 700 7 Mag ADL and while it shoots ok for what it is (.75-1 MOA) I have recently been trying to increase my range... I bought a .308 5-R and I am currently working loads for it (the 1-1.24" twist is throwing me off of heavier bullets) ... I always like to have 2-3 good projects running to keep me interested while I wait on parts or range time. my question is for longer range 800-1400m which round would you suggest and why... My thought is to buy a good barrel have the receiver trued new trigger, stock, etc and try to get that to the .5 moa or better mark... I know I can buy a high quality gun for less money than i would put into this, but like i said i like projects... I've never actually owned a 300WM but have heard and read that they are barrel burners, but i'm also not a gun who shoots 3000 rounds a year through the same gun... Thanks in advance!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me personally I'd go with a 300 Win Mag over the Short Mag.
None of those mentioned are gonna be any more of a "barrel burner" then the other.
I'm really not a 7mm fan period. I like my 30s and my 6.5mm. Speaking of, build you a good 6.5 for your long range stuff.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long range accuracy is all about the bullet.
Pick your bullet and then fashion the rest of the rifle around it.

If you want the longer range capability go with a 7mm over the 30 caliber because the bullets have a higher BC for a given weight in the VLD bullet design.
The 7mm Berger 180 VLD is what some guy used to set the 1000 yard benchrest record of something under 2" for a 5 shot group (if memory serves me correct).
He utilized a 7mm-300 WSM cartridge (again from memory) which is the 300 WSM case necked down to 7mm rather than just going with the factory 7mm WSM. No idea why.
Berger VLD's typically prefer to be crushed into the lands for best accuracy, which means you won't get real long barrel life with top accuracy.
There are 30 cal. bullets that will get the job done or you can even move up to a .338 if you have the money and interest and are recoil tolerant.
You can also go with a 6.5mm round that will get you out to 1400+ yards with less recoil.

I already have a 260 Remington that gets the bullet out to 1260 yards supersonic and a 6.5-284 if I want to get out past that.
There is a 7mm WSM project sitting at my gunsmith's place waiting on him to get time to finish it.
Once that happens I will try out the Berger 180's and some slightly lighter bullets to decide which I prefer out to 1260 yards.
Until then all of my 7mm trigger time has been behind other people's rifles.
1260 is the furthest I can shoot without driving 4 or 5 hours away so that is the longest range I care about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom