303 brit questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
JB's thread got me thinking about this one.its a no.4 mk 1. i traded for it awile back and never did much research. i just like the looks of the enfield in any configuration and wish i would have bought more when they were in every pawnshop. this one has M 1944 with bx 13357 under it. the same bx 13357 is on the back of the bolt handle.some faint markings on the receiver, one that looks like an upside down crescent with maybe an "a" or "v" under it. also a circle with a "4" in it. the other side of the receiver has england with a crown.
it has a brass buttplate with a cleaning kit compartment in it. the cutdown on the stock looks good and not bubba"d with a saw and 80 grit.is this maybe one of the "santa fe" refurbs? my limited research isn't turning up much.
i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_P5060488.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any Santa Fe import markings on the rifle? If not, it just looks like someone's attempt to make a No 5 (Jungle Carbine) clone. All of the Santa Fe clones that I have seen have the flash hider attached.

Here's what the real deal looks like...I picked the rifle up for $125 a couple years back.

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_No55.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_No54.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_No52.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_No53.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice rifle luke.i have not taken the furniture off of it to look for more markings. i do think the mods were done by the importer though. then maybe sold as a jungle carbine to joe public. did the standard issue rifles have the brass butt plate?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have not taken the furniture off of it to look for more markings. i do think the mods were done by the importer though. then maybe sold as a jungle carbine to joe public. did the standard issue rifles have the brass butt plate?

No, it had a modified rubber buttpad that protruded from a buttplate housing. You can see it in the first photo. I could be wrong, but I believe that most importers marked No 4's on the side of the barrel near the muzzle.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
took the wood off and found a few inspectors marks at well as a few "v"s as well as a few more crowns. i've looked this thing over thoroughly and can't find any import marks

Latest posts

Top Bottom