.308 Winchester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the 5.56 has been a lot of fun, not going to stop shooting it, but lately I've been really getting into shooting the .308 Winchester flavor.

I've "eased" my way in to shooting the larger "evil black rifle" and really like how it performs. I didn't stock up on the ammo like I did the other calibers and I'm really regretting it now.

That's a long winded way to preface my question: what is a good price for .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO ammo?

For some reason, I remember .308 being around $.40 to $.50 per round, now I'm lucky to find it PPU 147 grain stuff for $.65 to $.75 per round. Just seems high to me for Czech ammo....Domestic options sound like they're running almost a buck a round! (:smack:Ouch!!!)

Any guidance, input or direction y'all can provide will be appreciated.:thanku:

okie shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got into the .308 game when it was under twenty a round, and some as low as twelve to fifteen cents a round.

That said, you can have lots of fun with the various flavors of big bad battle rifles, from a ak variant, in the saiga, the fal, the cetme/hk, the M1a's and such, just you will pay and the prices you are talking about above arnt that bad these days. There can be some saveings if you go with steel wolf, or brown bear, but there are additional problems with that. The best price I saw was sixty five cents or so, for PMC lately, in something domestic brass new production. Not sure if any of the Lithiuan(sorry spelling) is left. There is some remaining south african stuff out there, it aint cheap though.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I was HOPING that I was just missing where all the deals had been hiding!

I'll keep looking and start tooling up for reloading these babies!

creekhawg

Marksman
Reaction score
Have to admit I've caught the .308 bug bigtime too. Bought a Rem 700 SPS Tactical that's a tackdriver once it was sighted in properly and had some problem finding ammo before my dies and reloading setup came in. Best deal I found locally was Winchester 7.62 FMJ 147 grs. for $15 a box. They do shoot well though. Do you reload or are you considering it?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hope your planning on reloading. The .308/ 7.62x51 has become kinda expensive to shoot. The most accurate bullet that I have found so far for my m1a is the serria 168 gr match. I buy 147 gr ball for plinking.

Michael

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope your planning on reloading. The .308/ 7.62x51 has become kinda expensive to shoot. The most accurate bullet that I have found so far for my m1a is the serria 168 gr match. I buy 147 gr ball for plinking.

Michael

I'm definitely planning on reloading. Have the dies, some starter brass, even a little powder and a recipe I'm planning on starting out with.

My problem is finding projectiles and more importantly frickin primers of the large rifle variety that I don't have to pay +$50 a brick for. (component availability, and their costs, are still crazy!:grumble:)

I have about 1,000 rounds of the 147 gr ball, that I bought for plinking AND for "donor brass" to the reloading cause. That sierra 168 gr match bullet sounds interesting, I'll have to start and hunt for a few to try out!

Thanks for the input.

I was wondering what projectiles to try out next

Latest posts

Top Bottom