.357 Wheel Gun help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jckellison

My prized possession is my first series, 28 year old S&W 686.

I got it used a few years ago, and to tell you the truth, the guy was an ardent "never clean a wheel gun" type of dude. So recently, I gave it a super deep cylinder off cleaning.

After reassembly, I notice a little play, but the cylinder locks up tight in battery single and double action... But now, when I fire it, I feel particles hitting my face like. It's like shooting a slack Rossi, leading out the forcing cone feeling.

Any suggestions? Gunsmith recommendations?

Thanks

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be several things, including a worn cylinder stop or a number of other causes. The S&W Revolver, A Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen is full of information about S&W revolvers in the era of your L-frame. You may need to find a good revolver smith eventually to fix the problem, without causing damage to the nice old gun.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like some where in your activity, you have gotten the cylinder out of "time" and it is not correctly indexed now.

You need someone familiar with Smiths to deal with it. See if you can google up a factory-authorized repair armorer in your area.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly recommend sending it to S&W. They may not be the fastest, but their prices are good, and I have never had anything but top notch work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom