.38 Special ammo--range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have always heard that the Speer Gold Dot 135gn +P was an excellent choice for 38spcl. Thx for the confirmation. I personally carry the Federal 158 LSWCHP+P that LDP4570 was speaking of. Stuff is a little hard to find, but well worth the hunt.

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reco on the 158gr stuff. I've read good things, but have yet to run across any.

For the question about rifle tests, I did the same test with some .308 ammo--the Federal blue box 150gr soft point. Oddly enough, it only went through three jugs (stopped in the third) at about 5 yards. Penetration at that range wasn't so hot, but then think about the amount of energy deposited in the target!!

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this test and came up with a few followup questions.

1) How far from the milk jugs was the gun when fired? Where you trying to mimic shooting a target at 7yrds?or the snubby pressed up to belly?

2) Did you happen to measure the size of the enter/exit holes of the milk jugs? This would tell us how much expansion occurred after passing through each jug.

I don't know if this is even possible to measure. just asking....

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
always a pain trying to find a snubby load that will expand, especially if you have a non plus p gun.. I used to a lot of those jug tests in the days before there were thousands of gel test videos on youtube...

Latest posts

Top Bottom