38 special or 44 special for Home Defense/Conceal Carry dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have one gun an S&W 65 3 inch 357. Maybe because work is slow or I because Santa said I could get one or two more guns for Xmas. I have been reading a lot of internet warriors post about home defense and conceal carry.

I do carry my smith loaded with 357 rounds, but from the internet dumping grounds I have dig out a few bits that seem to ring true.

“357 inside the house at night might cause hearing issues and flash from a 357 will cause night blindness. “

While I expect any round can do both a subsonic round will be less flash and noise. Winter time it seems the majority prefer larger round. The perception is a smaller round might not expand through all of the clothing and larger round, if it fails to expand will still make a larger hole.

Now to add another twist I want a deer/hog rifle in a pistol caliber to match what I carry and limit myself to one or two rounds stock pile reloading materials for 38/357 and/or 44spl/44 mag.

Yes I know, get a rifle in a rifle caliber….but I want to limit what ammo I have to stock and reload for.

To complicate matters my wife is thinking about conceal and carry and she is recoil shy. At least she keeps asking how much does it kick. I am pretty sure a light weight 38 will not be her cup of tea, though as I explained to her, she can start learning/practicing on my Smith with light hand loaded 38s and have a light handgun to carry. In the moment of needing it she will not notice the recoil. Of course she would still need to shoot it every couple of weeks or so for practice after warming up with light target loads.

I am pretty certain both calibers will get the job done if I do my part. But I am sure leaning towards the 44.

In 38/357 I would need to find low flash self defense rounds and either get used to wearing the smith better or find a light 357 to carry and add a good lever rifle. 357 will take deer, not sure about how good it is on hogs...I guess here hogs and two legged critters in the woods would be the biggest threat.

In 44spl/44mag I would probably be looking at something around 20oz for carry. Though I am sure I do not want to shoot 44 mags out of something that light. So would probably end up with three guns. 44 special for carry or maybe a light weight 44 mag loaded with 44 special and a 44 mag lever gun.

I am interested in hearing about your real life experiences with the 357 and 44 to help me decide.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that firing a .357 in the dark will blind you and deafen you. Not something you want if you are in a gun fight. I only carry +P .38 special in my .357s. I am a BIG fan if .44 special and would rather carry that in my .44 magnums, BUT the pistols tend to be big and heavy.

Just to be clear my personal experience is shooting a lot at night when I was young.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're gonna get muzzle flash regardless.....if you are using a shorter barrel.

Bodyguard .38 - Mid-day - Raining/Snowing - Regular .38 rounds(not +P).
Bodyguard%2520Fireball-1.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that firing a .357 in the dark will blind you and deafen you. Not something you want if you are in a gun fight. I only carry +P .38 special in my .357s. I am a BIG fan if .44 special and would rather carry that in my .44 magnums, BUT the pistols tend to be big and heavy.

Just to be clear my personal experience is shooting a lot at night when I was young.

This is certainly true; but I want even less to be shot with said .357. The ringing in the ears and temporary blindness may in all likelihood go away. The big friggin' hole in your sternum will not.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is certainly true; but I want even less to be shot with said .357. The ringing in the ears and temporary blindness may in all likelihood go away. The big friggin' hole in your sternum will not.

internet lore says that under stress/duress our body shuts out the sound and ill effects mentioned above. But, never anything wrong with a bigger hole.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From personal experience auditory exclusion is real. I'd go with the .357/.38 for all the reasons you mentioned above. A .44 will do you fine for the same purposes, however the .357 has more versatility, in my opinion. Several ammo companies make heavy for caliber .357 loads for hunting, and I would say these would be the way to go if hogs were imminent...44 mag/special was too much In the all steel model 29 4" I had a long time ago. Scraped may hand raw after a few cylinders full. Now, my preference is for the longer barrels for strictly hunting guns. ymmv.