38 special or 44 special for Home Defense/Conceal Carry dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh wow, I totally disagree...no way am I am giving up my sense of hearing as some thug creeps through my home intent on no good. I wanna hear the shuffle of his feet; the bump against the picture on the wall; the nervousness in his last breath...

Ear protection is for the range; hearing is essential in a potential confrontation. Please re-think this.

I said electronic hearing protection. That way not only can you hear before any shots are fired, but afterwards as well. I wouldn't risk my life to try to get hearing protection, but I would use them if they were there and gave me not only protection but an advantage.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you input.

I have download to 38 +p for the house.

Still pondering the 44

If your still thinking of the .44, I would look for a revolver that shoots the .44spl. No need to go blasting away with a .44Mag. Granted the .44spl handguns won't be easy to find, Taurus an Charter Arms are the only two still producing them, and I would lean towards Charter Arms Bulldog. Now on the used market you can still find S&W models 24, 624, and the 696 L-frame. Now they won't be cheap, but they will be worth every penny.

Loads for the .44spl will be moderate to mild, but will give good results on the receiving end. With the .44 Special you don't have to be concerned with if its a hollow point or LSWC, and actually I prefer a LSWC for its ability to penetrate and to cut a nice .44 caliber hole. Remember a .44spl. running from 800 to 900 FPS is going to give the same performance as a .45ACP. Bullet weights for the 44 are going to run from 165 to 250 grains.