.380 Bodyguard tool steel firing pins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been many reports of the .380 Bodyguard's MIM firing pin breaking. This concerned me to the place I didn't really trust the pistol enough to carry it. Anyway, Galloway Precision has finally made a run of tool steel firing pins for the little Smith. I've got one on the way and I'll report about the quality and the installation. I'll also make a range report after it's installed. Here's their link if you are interested. http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380/

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, made the install and here's what I found. First I tried just dropping the new firing pin in right out of the package. Didn't go, so I grabbed my dial calipers and started micing it compared to the MIM Smith pin. What I found was the only difference was the small end of the pin was just over .001 in diameter bigger and that kept it from free floating in it's channel. I spent some time with some fine sand paper and polished the small end till it mic'd the same as the Smith pin. The Galloway pin is HARD so it took a while to polish it but I did get there, now it free floats in the channel just like the OEM pin.

Range report. We ran out to the range after work and test fired the pistol, everything worked perfect. I plan to go back Saturday and run about 50-100 through the gun and I'll report back on that.

To sum it up, the Galloway pin is a nice little piece. The small end did have to be polished to get it to free float. I sent them an email telling them that but haven't received a response yet. Would I buy it again? Yes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom