$4,200 poorer today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did you run faucets? Mine was only the hot water and I didnt drip those. Couldnt exactly drip the washing machine either lol

Dripped all hot water faucets. Only one I couldn't drip was the washing machine, but it did fine. Dripping the hot water faucets kept enough of it running through/warm enough that didn't freeze either. I made them branch that right above where it would drop down in the laundry room for that exact reason.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that a mediocre plumber makes more than a physician that has spent 7-10 years in schools to gain a medical license? Somehow that doesn't seem right but I still don't want to pay an MD $200-$300 for medical advise and an Rx.
Ha!

A doctor found a water leak in his basement, so he called a plumber. The plumber took about 5 minutes to tighten a fitting and stop the leak. He presented the doctor with a bill for $100.

"$100 for 5 minutes work?" exclaimed the doctor, "That's $1200 per hour! I'm a brain surgeon and don't make that much!"

The plumber replied, "I didn't make that much when I was a brain surgeon either..."

:drunk2:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are a specialized industry. I know because I used to be a technician. Our hourly rate was $110 an hour two hour minimum. I understand the FLIR cost them money to buy sn I probably paid for it in this one instance. I also know I could not physically do the same job all three of them did in one half day. It would have taken me about three days by myself and a $50 crimper for PEX plus pipe and fittings. I also know I cannot sweat a copper pipe to save my butt. I have tried on multiple occasions and never got it right. Getting on my knees or stomach is another impossible thing. I'd have to call 911 just to get back up.

Idk what the job entailed but as a professional plumber I'd have charged 120/hr plus materials and flir camera rental.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree that $4200 seems a bit high unless an after hours/weekend call/emergency and maybe still a bit up there. But if you think that's bad just wait until you need a sewer line replaced. That'll make you see stars before the lights go out!

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lines from my water heater to the laundry and kitchen are over top and both froze when we had that great northern blow in this winter. I wouldnt want them all in the atic.

Couldn’t agree more. Ask the THOUSANDS and thousands of Texans that wish they had not done it. It just makes no sense to have water in ones attic. Cold day in hell for me.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha!

A doctor found a water leak in his basement, so he called a plumber. The plumber took about 5 minutes to tighten a fitting and stop the leak. He presented the doctor with a bill for $100.

"$100 for 5 minutes work?" exclaimed the doctor, "That's $1200 per hour! I'm a brain surgeon and don't make that much!"

The plumber replied, "I didn't make that much when I was a brain surgeon either..."

:drunk2:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. Ask the THOUSANDS and thousands of Texans that wish they had not done it. It just makes no sense to have water in ones attic. Cold day in hell for me.

It makes sense when it’s all under the slab and it has to be replaced. You can add more insulation on top.. I had zero problems and haven’t had one in 10 years.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes sense when it’s all under the slab and it has to be replaced. You can add more insulation on top.. I had zero problems and haven’t had one in 10 years.
With PEX under slab (what I have) it will be here after the house is gone. The 2 short lines in the atic that froze were also under insulation so I'm having a hard time understanding why you think its a good idea?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom