.40 S&w "+p"???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SAAMI says +P is spec +10%.

+P+ more than that and SAAMI doesn't even mention it.

.40S&W +P - most barrels are over spec'd and will handle +P easily. Call the manufacturer. I've done that for Ruger, SIG and Winchester firearms I've owned. All say +P is OK. +P+ they won't even talk about.

THAT SAID: If you plan on firing it out of a Glock - I wouldn't. Glock's .40 chamber is not fully supported. Shouldn't be an issue with new brass but why push your luck. If you want to fire .40 S&W +P just get yur self a 10mm. :thumb:

:friday:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no SAAMI spec for it.

This is true.

What GA is putting out is more of a marketing gadget than anything.....it sells!

I thought .40 was basiclly a +p from the start.Which is why a person would want a fully supported barrel.

I think a lot of people would be shocked to find out the SAAMI specs are as follows:

9mm = 38,5000
40S&W = 35,000

...especially those who say they routinely shoot 9mm+p and +P+ with no issues at all, but claim that the .40S&W has an incredible amount of wrist snapping recoil.
:rollingla

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what I am trying to say is that the ballistics are grossly different from a .40 and a 10mm. One poster above said that if you wanted a +P .40 then just get a 10mm. Not the same animal at all. Furthermore, several people mentioned shooting rounds that are on the high side of loading guide lines in an unsupported barrel like a glock is unsafe. How many glock .40's have sold in the world vs. how many kabooms have happened because of the unsupported barrel. Does anyone actually think that factory ammo is anywhere close to as hot as it can be and still be safe? That is what I am saying.. Thanks for asking.