44 Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with some sort of 44 Magnum revolver?
I've been thinking on trying to get one but I'm not sure if I'm gonna' enjoy the recoil, I do know though that I can shoot 44 Special through it and that's not a problem.
I'm not quite sure what a good 44 Magnum would be?
I've thought about an older pre-lock, Model 29 from S&W.
I think though that's a bit out of my budget.
I kinda' want me a Ruger Alaskan with the 2.5" or 3" barrel (I don't remember the barrel length but it's around there) for fun and possibly carry for when I'm at the right age but I don't know how the recoil out of that is gonna' be.
The size and weight of the gun doesn't bother me, it's just how the recoil out of any 44 Magnum is gonna' be.
The two main ones is a Smith & Wesson Model 29 and a Ruger Alaskan.
If anyone has dealt and handled one of these two or some other 44 Magnum, let me know because I've been thinking about one and so has my dad.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have had several Ruger Super Blackhawks over the years............this is what I'd suggest. Durable, dependable, nice triggers, accurate. My favorite is my 1963 Super Blackhawk 3 screw, love it!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with S&W or Ruger. If you're concerned about recoil you probably don't need something that can handle the heaviest ammo so you have plenty of options. There's the single action options of the Ruger Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk and large frame Vaquero. Double action options are S&W 29 & 629, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Alaskan and the Ruger Super Redhawk (which is a hideous creature).

A .44 magnum revolver packs a wallop and depending on the gun and grips it can range from sting your hand to just plain hurt like hell. Don't get caught up in all that "no guns with locks" crap unless you're a collector and that's your thing. The new guns with locks are just as good as those without and it doesn't make much sense to miss out on a quality handgun because of something that has no relevance to it's performance.

This is my personal. 44 magnum revolver, a S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center model. The action, the trigger, the accuracy are all excellent. It's really a pleasure to shoot, I never shoot .44 Specials because I bought my gun to be a magnum. On my gun the factory Hogue recoil absorbing grips help and, of course, the compensator helps tremendously by taming muzzle flip. I can shoot it rapidly without the normal barrel rise to the sky. You can always buy a less expensive gun and have it tweaked to improve it's performance. Anywho, here's mine...I LOVE this gun.

For some reason the picture didn't work, I'll try again...

Last edited:

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking perceived recoil is more affected by grip shape and material. Of course load characteristics will also cause issues as well. I would seek a range out that rents guns and see if you can locate one that as a couple 44 mags to rent. Ever notice the "like new" appearance of a SW 500 in gun shops that sell used guns? That being said if you load, the 44 can be loaded mild to wild. Good luck.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking perceived recoil is more affected by grip shape and material. Of course load characteristics will also cause issues as well. I would seek a range out that rents guns and see if you can locate one that as a couple 44 mags to rent. Ever notice the "like new" appearance of a SW 500 in gun shops that sell used guns? That being said if you load, the 44 can be loaded mild to wild. Good luck.

Good advice. I have a Ruger Redhawk that I really like, and the recoil is stout (depending on the load), but not altogether unpleasant. I had a friend who had a Super Blackhawk, and that was the most painful .44 mag I ever shot - it put a huge amount of the recoil right into the index finger "knuckle" of my palm. Didn't take but a few rounds for my hand to hurt like hell. My bad experience with that frame is why I went with the modern-style frame of the Redhawk, and I'm sure the S&W 29/629 would be just as comfortable. Try before you buy, if you can.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with S&W or Ruger. If you're concerned about recoil you probably don't need something that can handle the heaviest ammo so you have plenty of options. There's the single action options of the Ruger Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk and large frame Vaquero. Double action options are S&W 29 & 629, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Alaskan and the Ruger Super Redhawk (which is a hideous creature).

A .44 magnum revolver packs a wallop and depending on the gun and grips it can range from sting your hand to just plain hurt like hell. Don't get caught up in all that "no guns with locks" crap unless you're a collector and that's your thing. The new guns with locks are just as good as those without and it doesn't make much sense to miss out on a quality handgun because of something that has no relevance to it's performance.

This is my personal. 44 magnum revolver, a S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center model. The action, the trigger, the accuracy are all excellent. It's really a pleasure to shoot, I never shoot .44 Specials because I bought my gun to be a magnum. On my gun the factory Hogue recoil absorbing grips help and, of course, the compensator helps tremendously by taming muzzle flip. I can shoot it rapidly without the normal barrel rise to the sky. You can always buy a less expensive gun and have it tweaked to improve it's performance. Anywho, here's mine...I LOVE this gun.

I agree about the lock. Don't get to hung up on that. The majority of the cases of un-intended lock engagements that I am aware of have been in lightweight guns using very heavy loads. I have several S&W wheelguns with the Internal Lock, and none of them has ever been a problem for me. That said, I do prefer the lock to not be there, and the 44's that I have don't have them.

So don't pass up a gun just because it has the lock, especially if it is a steel frame.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hunting buddy for years was my Tackleberry.
Looks just like this one below.

i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_tackleberry.jpg

But my arthritis has almost completely stopped that.
I've been thinking about selling it for several years now.

Prior to this I enjoyed the heck out of it. Every time my rifle went deer hunting it was strapped on too.
The recoil is an acquired taste for some folks. Never bothered me in the past.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done time with the Ruger Super Blackhawk and the Smith 629. Both are great guns. Certainly recoil is there but if you're used to shooting any centerfire pistol I think you'll be OK with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom