44 Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had multiple .44 magnums. Ruger red hawk, super blackhawk, vaquero, and the flattop 50th anniversary model. Smith 629. My favorite is the red hawk. I like the double action better and it fits me better than the smith. All were good quality. One thing I dont care for on the super blackhawk is the squared trigger guard. I would recommend trying to shoot some before you buy. My red hawk has a 4" barrel. If you were closer I'd meet up with you and let you shoot the two .44's that I still have. Oh, I must give you a warning. If you buy a .44 pistol, you will surely need a matching .44 rifle to go with it.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my .44 mag pic to finally post, I also agree about the having a rifle in that caliber. I've got a .44 magnum handgun and a Winchester 94 in the same caliber to go with it. I had to do the same thing in .45 Colt with a Blackhawk and a Henry Big Boy in that caliber, its sort of a rule. My .44 mag is a double action though so I have to score a .44 mag Vaquero Bisley to go with my Winchester.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a 7.5" super blackhawk can be found fairly affordable if you are patient and shop for a used specimen, the longer barrel helps with recoil, but you can load .44 mag down to where it is a plinker, or shoot special that is mild.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is fun to shoot 100 yard targets with a .44 mag. I can't see that well now even with glasses, but could in my 20's.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a Ruger Blackhawk with a 10 1/2 inch barrel and a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I liked the Redhawk best. .44 Mag really deserves a long barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Ruger Super Redhawk. Awesome shooter. I've taken 1/2 dozen deer or so with it, My loads are 1/10th of a grain under primer perforation pressure levels. It seems to be the most accurate.
The recoil over factory loads is very noticeable with 240 grain HP rounds. I've shot a couple of the Ruger Alaskans with the shorter barrel using my reloads, and they don't recoil near as hard as the full size models. Short barrels don't have the length to generate full velocity. The fireball at low light is impressive though!

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would try before you buy, I've had 2 rugers in that flavor at different times, both are gone now. If recoil doesn't bother you, then you'll love it, if it does, then not so much.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good to see all the .44 mag love in this day of itty bitty pocket pistols and plastic fantastic...I own them too, but have shot the hell out of solid steel revolvers for far longer. And a box of 50 rounds of .44 has a tendency to last a tad bit longer with me than in a glock 9mm.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm....considering how hard it is to find a Ruger Alaskan .454, I wonder if you could hack that hideous extended schnoozer off the Super Redhawk .454 and get the same gun? Is there any other difference?

Edit: no offense to y'all that own and like them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm....considering how hard it is to find a Ruger Alaskan .454, I wonder if you could hack that hideous extended schnoozer off the Super Redhawk .454 and get the same gun? Is there any other difference?

Edit: no offense to y'all that own and like them.

I'm getting a Muzzle brake put on my Super Red Hawk, as its going to be on my hip when we go to Alaska for a driving/hiking trip.

The Smith can cut the MZ down so the overall length with the brake is the same as it was previously. Don't want to have to buy a new holster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom