44 Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would really like a butter smooth smith 29, but my rough and old blackhawk keeps on a shooting, and the gun fairy hasn't replenished my gun buying stash just yet.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been resisting adding an Alaskan in .44mag to my stash. Don't know why, but a short .44mag just appeals to me. If I had a little extra, I'd grab one of the S&W Performance Center snubs.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really mind the recoil; I'm sure it's a bit more with the extra short barrel and heavier loads, but the Redhawk I have is the 4-7/8, or whatever goofy length Ruger decided on, and it isn't altogether horrible, even with hotter 240 grain rounds. I was looking for some 300 grain soft point projectiles a guy have me once, and I was going to load them up and see how they were, but never found them. I imagine they could give a pretty good kick.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope all you shorty desiring folks have strong wrists.

Well that's true, but the Ruger Alaskan is probably already a pretty heavy revolver, so therefore the recoil might now be that bad even though it's a 44 Magnum.
I've been thinking on getting the Alaskan but it's just a "bit" to short in barrel length. Now maybe if it was like 3" to 3.5" then that wouldn't be bad at all.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He has big bore fever. There is only one way to cure it...

You got that right, just got to shoot my S&W Model 66. I shot probably around 100 or so rounds of .357 Magnum, it really wasn't that bad, it just felt a tad bit more fearsome that just some HPR .38 Special (Which the HPR is more than likely gonna' be my new practice/fun round, that's some good stuff), so yeah, I without a doubt have "Big Bore Fever".
It's a "good" sickness.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun, PRE-LOCK, and forget the others (I've had two 629 Mountain Guns, still have one).

And yes, I have spent time shooting various Ruger 44mags, and the Colt Anaconda.

IMO, prefer the Colt to any of the Rugers, but a good PRE-LOCK 629 is as good as it gets............unless you can find/get a Freedom Arms revolver in 44RemMag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom