.458 socom vs .300 blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue.

that's just not true .. it's good to be a tight wad to be able to afford nice rigs.
.458 socom is supposed to be fun ... at $3 a shot .. that's no fun :smash:
reloads would still be pricey ... looks like for .458 socom the brass comes before the gun.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's just not true .. it's good to be a tight wad to be able to afford nice rigs.
.458 socom is supposed to be fun ... at $3 a shot .. that's no fun :smash:
reloads would still be pricey ... looks like for .458 socom the brass comes before the gun.

Of course it's true....You simply must not know the kinda guys I know.

Laying out the cash for a 458 socom set like that (Platform + optic + suppressor) for a play toy is in a league where "worrying about brass" isn't top of mind.

You think Ferrari owners worry about the price of gas?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course it's true....You simply must not know the kinda guys I know.

Laying out the cash for a 458 socom set like that (Platform + optic + suppressor) for a play toy is in a league where "worrying about brass" isn't top of mind.

You think Ferrari owners worry about the price of gas?

that's not valid comparison .. a Ferarri is a LOT more $$$ than any 458 socom set.
besides not everyone needs to buy a can and high end optics ... with AR pretty darn common, most folks just needs an upper to have a fully functional socom.

Tromix charges about $725 for a 458 socom upper. even less if you purchase the barrel from Tromix to make your own upper ... so it's pretty darn reasonable to buy the actual gun.

since I've not shot an 458 socom yet .. all I've got to compare with is my std AR where 500 rounds is just getting started.

but unlike other more common rounds, there's no way to scrounge up socom brass. costs to setup with a measly 500 rounds costs about same as buy the socom upper.

this sure is putting a damper on 458 socom for me and 300 blkout is no longer getting me exited.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, I agree with CY. I can afford a .458 SOCOM AR, but I don't have money to throw around, so ammo cost is a big consideration for me. Especially when I like to plink my way through several boxes of ammo on the infrequent occasion I make it to the range. $15 for 50 rounds of 5.56 versus $150 for the same number of rounds of .458 SOCOM is a huge consideration for folks like me.

Now, if a fellow wants to drive his Ferrari to the range and drop off a pallet of .458 SOCOM ammo and a few jerry cans of gasoline, I'd be happy to accept them :D

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's not valid comparison .. a Ferarri is a LOT more $$$ than any 458 socom set.
besides not everyone needs to buy a can and high end optics ... with AR pretty darn common, most folks just needs an upper to have a fully functional socom.

Tromix charges about $725 for a 458 socom upper. even less if you purchase the barrel from Tromix to make your own upper ... so it's pretty darn reasonable to buy the actual gun.

since I've not shot an 458 socom yet .. all I've got to compare with is my std AR where 500 rounds is just getting started.

but unlike other more common rounds, there's no way to scrounge up socom brass. costs to setup with a measly 500 rounds costs about same as buy the socom upper.

this sure is putting a damper on 458 socom for me and 300 blkout is no longer getting me exited.

Once again, I agree with CY. I can afford a .458 SOCOM AR, but I don't have money to throw around, so ammo cost is a big consideration for me. Especially when I like to plink my way through several boxes of ammo on the infrequent occasion I make it to the range. $15 for 50 rounds of 5.56 versus $150 for the same number of rounds of .458 SOCOM is a huge consideration for folks like me.

Now, if a fellow wants to drive his Ferrari to the range and drop off a pallet of .458 SOCOM ammo and a few jerry cans of gasoline, I'd be happy to accept them :D

So, here are two guys saying that they WANT to go with a 458 socom but they cost of ammo is an issue so they HAVENT.

Kinda makes my point that the ones that DID (especially the fact that they went above just an upper with high-end optics and then added a suppressor which is even MORE money) don't have the same issue with the ammo cost.

Make sense?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, here are two guys saying that they WANT to go with a 458 socom but they cost of ammo is an issue so they HAVENT.

Kinda makes my point that the ones that DID (especially the fact that they went above just an upper with high-end optics and then added a suppressor which is even MORE money) don't have the same issue with the ammo cost.

Make sense?

Not EVERYONE who buys a .458 SOCOM AR is going to consider the ammo cost to be irrelevant, I'd think. Some folks can do so, but I'd say more buyers would be reloaders or are limited to occasional plinking with a handful of factory ammo since they can't really justify the cost of more intense range sessions. The point is, the ammo cost dissuades SOME folks who would otherwise take the plunge to get a .458 SOCOM AR.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not EVERYONE who buys a .458 SOCOM AR is going to consider the ammo cost to be irrelevant, I'd think. Some folks can do so, but I'd say more buyers would be reloaders or are limited to occasional plinking with a handful of factory ammo since they can't really justify the cost of more intense range sessions. The point is, the ammo cost dissuades SOME folks who would otherwise take the plunge to get a .458 SOCOM AR.

You simply KEEP MAKING MY POINT.

I Said " With the guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue" which also means "The cost dissuades some folks who would otherwise take the plunge to get a .458 SOCOM AR" (<------Your words.)

So again:

If someone CAN afford to have that type of set up, ammo is NOT the hangup!

For guys that CANNOT afford to have a rig like that, ammo IS a hangup!

Howabout we defer to the guy that owns the rig that I mentioned:

"I try to pick up most of it but I don't get too hung up on the price." - docterjj

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Make sense?

not really .. different strokes for different folks.

with .458 socom it's not possible to scrounge up brass. finding out the few base calibers one can make socom brass from is just as expensive. Tromix by offering barrels/components is flat making 458 socom down right affordable in terms of acquiring the actual gun.

don't forget purpose of this .458 socom was to have fun ...at $3 a round sorry but it's not possible for a tightwad like me to have fun :popcorn:
don't get me wrong .. what I'll probably end up doing is scrounge up the brass and misc reloading goodies ... then build an upper myself with a Tromix barrel.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_3820changeout.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom