489" chevelle Gotta love a tunnel-ram BBC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddies chevelle After that day he brought it to me to work over the 750 edelbrock carbs.
Much more responsive now.
Yes carbs as in 2 of them..

I need to finish my 355" in my 47 dodge and go beat up on that slow sucker.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be barefoot gas pedal equipped..

Mj0AXGx.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep many were raised on Holley's but I was around the Qjet and carter AFB.
16 years old and purchased my dad's fishin/drinkin buddies 47 dodge truck that he had installed from his supergas chevelle a 425HP 396 that put out 625HP at the crank with 2 carter 750 AFB carbs.
It ran 9.8 at 145 MPH crossing the stripe at 8500rpm.

I got the love for the AFB I do have some Holley carbs but I done a lot of tweaking and epoxy work to them to make them really good.
As long as you know what to do to a carb they all act the same when dialed in. Sized accordingly of course.
mightymouse You would probably really like my modded 4779.

That gas pedal is better than the bare bent rod I have in my 57 chevy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep many were raised on Holley's but I was around the Qjet and carter AFB.
16 years old and purchased my dad's fishin/drinkin buddies 47 dodge truck that he had installed from his supergas chevelle a 425HP 396 that put out 625HP at the crank with 2 carter 750 AFB carbs.
It ran 9.8 at 145 MPH crossing the stripe at 8500rpm.

I got the love for the AFB I do have some Holley carbs but I done a lot of tweaking and epoxy work to them to make them really good.
As long as you know what to do to a carb they all act the same when dialed in. Sized accordingly of course.
mightymouse You would probably really like my modded 4779.

That gas pedal is better than the bare bent rod I have in my 57 chevy.

LOL, that's all I had in my notchback 66' GT for years!

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swampratt, I need you and your friends to come over and spread you magic on the lowly 302 in my 68 Mustang. Once I finish the wiring, of course. :-)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep 3310 was the vacuum 750 carb and 4779 was the double pumper 750.

Neither in stock form would pull hard on the top end compared to a slightly modified Q jet or a almost stock 750 AFB.
Buddy had one built and I looked at it a 4779 double pumper the air horn was milled and very thin throttle shafts and small screws and it flower 890 CFM on a bench.. venturies were not enlarged.

I though I can do that..So i dug the 3310 out of mothballs and began massaging it with the die grinder.
When it was done it pulled HARD on the big end.
5500-7600 rpm it finally felt as good as the other carbs. And no loss of low end at all.

My 4779 main body looks like one of the new proform main bodies all rounded and smooth entry into the venturies including the front venturies that would just be squared off by the choke tower.
Gotta love JB weld.

On my 57 chevy I tested the RPM intake square bore and used my tweaked 4779 and tweaked Q jet ..only 10 HP difference winner 4779 Holley.
Now when I ran a ported Q jet intake ..All plenum dividers removed it was making 10HP less than the RPM intake but winner was the Q jet on that intake Holley down by 10.
Funny how that works.
Porting the plenum gained 20HP over stock.
This was tested at Abel racing on MoBoost wheel dyno.

I like carbs.
I tested the Qjet a couple Holleys and Motorcraft 2 barrels and a few AFB and edelbrock carbs on my 302 Ford.
After tuning they all ran the same and all got within 1/2 MPG.
So just kept the big motorcraft 2V.
That was a turd 302 with Keith black flat tops and 260H cam Ported smogger heads and ported 2V intake and Ported exhaust manifolds.
6000 lb Ford E150 18.1 ET in the 1/4 mile Think that is slow.
Beat my friends tweaked 91 Z71 350".. sad day for him..

Fun stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom