6.5 Creedmoor Savage Axis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I went shooting one of these today.
The marked down ones at Academy.
Took store ammo Remington 140 gr and Federal fusion 140 GR and Winchester 125gr.

The gun shot great .
I removed the stock and scope and cleaned all the oil off everything and stuck it back together.
I did not adjust the scope and it was high at 25 yards but left and right was great and then I shot it at 100 yards.
It went a little left but wind was blowing..Could be I need to adjust scope :)

I was worried about function and getting on paper and group size.
Federal Fusion was terrible first shot was 25 yards then 3 at 100.
I would say maybe 4" apart.
Some cases of that ammo would not chamber without really pushing forward and down very hard on the bolt.
I took a marker and colored the bullet and case .
The Shoulder Ogive was bottoming out in the chamber.
But only on 50% of them. Yea terrible.

Onto the Remington Core lokt 140 gr I shot it and 3 rounds were 1.6" apart.
I did cool the barrel after shooting the first 4 of the Federals and ran a bore snake through the barrel before each round of shooting.

Now onto the Winchester I put 5 rounds into another 1.6" area.

HHHMMM maybe the barrel is wanting to shoot now so I stuck in 2 more of the
Federal Fusions. Nope 2.6" apart for 2 rounds..Stuff is not liking this rifle.

Trigger felt decent No crunchy creeping.
The scope is really very good for a kit scope Very clear. No ghosting issues if your eye is too high or too low or to the side. You just get some blacked out ring area You know what I am talking about.

Eye relief was nice at 3-5 power but I had to scoot my cheek up a bit at 9 power.
Not a deal breaker at all.
I will actually keep the scope on it and I have a 3-9 Nikon in a box.
Very clear at 9 power with no ghosting or odd issues.

Target here . Federal Fusion in the middle and lower 2. Upper right was Remington and upper left was Winchester ammo. 5 shots on winchester ammo with one going into the same hole.
001.JPG

002.JPG

I just got some 123 Hornadys and some Hornady dies for this.

OH one other thing with these newer Axis rifles is the Magazine is different the early ones used a floppy latch and it was not very solid feeling.
This new style has a sliding spring loaded button and a notch. Much better lock up.

My winchester cases would not all eject out of the gun when pulling the bolt back some would fall on top of the magazine and stay there until I turned the gun sideways to let it fall out.

Chambered the rounds perfectly from the magazine.
I am going to measure the cases and see if tells me anything.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in for your results Swampratt. My Bergara shot the Hornady American Whitetail better than several of the other options including Hornady Match. The Hornady black shot the best for me. I've read several places that the 140gn and 143gn bullets are better than the lighter options. Therefore the fact you are trying the 123gn has me awaiting your results.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in for your results Swampratt. My Bergara shot the Hornady American Whitetail better than several of the other options including Hornady Match. The Hornady black shot the best for me. I've read several places that the 140gn and 143gn bullets are better than the lighter options. Therefore the fact you are trying the 123gn has me awaiting your results.
I think that’s it, the American Whitetail. I’ll have to dig my hunting pack out to know for sure.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you've got a 1:8 twist barrel but I've had really good luck with Hornady 140gr ELDM's in my reloads. I don't know if these will work as a hunting bullet but they work great as a paper/steel bullet. Depending on case type (be carful with Lapua) you can push them probably between 2800-2900 fps.

What type brass are you looking at using, SRP or LRP?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be using the brass from the bullets I shot.
I will measure volume and weight and neck thickness differences and then see how they ultimately shoot.
Large pistol primers and for first round testing I will be using IMR 4064 of all things..That powder has done me extremly good in 30-06 .308 and .243 all sub moa loads even at 500 yards and it retains same group size from freezing to 100+.

I will use CCI 200 primers for first round testing and see if I can get those bullets .005" off the lands.
Hornady dies will be used.
All my other dies are LEE. I hope these work out.

Jcann I know about lapua cases especially in my .308 I can't get in the upper accuracy node as the case will not hold enough powder so 42-43gr of 4064 or varget is the load.

I think 36.5 IMR 4064 for the beginning of the test and be done almost 2.5 gr later.
We will see how it works out.
If case fill is low I may look at other powders I have.

Yes 1:8 twist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom