6.5 Grendel and ammo issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
20200621_101314.jpg
100 yards with Honady 123 G SST custom ammo:grumble: Minute of WTH!!

20200621_101306.jpg
Honady 123g SST reloads.
Do not know what they did with the custom ammo but my rifle HATES it LOL. Any body use this stuff with better results? Guess I am going to pull the bullets and reload with AR-comp. Have 20 rounds left ...

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have some of that ‘so called’ custom ammo. My gun didn’t like it either. Nice group on the reloads though. What’s the recipe?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot box ammo and got crap groups.
If you are froggy do this.
It may very well surprise you.
Take apart those loaded cases keep the powder in them .Do not mess up the bullets.

After powder and bullet are removed you can remove the primer.

Then prep the cases like you would for your own hand loaded ammo.
Brush the necks with a spinning bore brush also and chamfer the case mouths.

Now after the cases are sized and ready put them all back together with same amount of powder you took from them and same bullet and primer.

Now go shoot them at paper at 100 yards.
Last thing is seat the bullet to the same depth as your reloads are at.
You may be surprised at the accuracy.

Seating depth makes a huge difference as does the case neck prepping and eliminating crimps.

Do just 5 but do it and post your results.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was listening to an episode of the Going Ballistic podcast with Ryan Cleckner. They discussed that the Hornady SST Superperformance ammo wasn’t producing great accuracy. I’d contact Hornady and let them know about your issue.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people at Hornady won't care if it doesn't shoot good in your particular rifle. There are too many variables in the civilian firearms market to manufacture a "match grade" loading. Even the custom gun makers don't guarantee their rifle's accuracy (except for certain chamberings like the .308, 300WM, .338LM) or to a couple of specific manufacturers loads like Black Hills, Federals GMM, LC, etc.

You can throw $5,000-$6,000 on a custom 300 PRC or 338NM and chances are you're going to be reloading for it to get its greatest potential. Heck, I don't know of a single name brand manufacturer that makes a 7wsm with a 180gr bullet. Copper Creek loads them but I'm not paying $60 for 20 rounds. They even load the Grendel, but you'll pay $35-$45 a box. I don't know about you, but my bench loads cost a lot less.

If you want to shoot bug holes or attempt to shoot bug holes it starts on the reloading bench. If you happen upon a store bought round that shoots tiny groups, consider yourself lucky, hopefully the next lot of ammo will do the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom