6.5 Grendel barrel group buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AA 18" beadblasted barrel and bolt (unless otherwise specified)
1 - YukonGlocker
1 - 264Magnum
1 - bettingpython (16" beadblasted)
1 - DrBaker (maybe)
1 - kpk
1 - Scott_In_OKC
1 - paul0731
1 - EFsDad
1 - sumoj275 (with a2 hider and A3 upper receiver)

DrBaker, did you make a decision yet? No hurry, just curious.
I'll probably give this another week or so, then make contact with AA.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't mind a discussion about this. In fact, I think more people need to know.

I see no evidence that 6.8 is a better manstopper, at any range. Everything I can conclude from shows that 6.5G is better than 6.8 comparing any characteristic. I'm definitely open to further research on the matter.

I plan on reloading 6.5G. Quality brass and bullets are easy to get. And if you don't reload, or want to shoot a lot, Wolf makes bulk 6.5G ammo. My 6.5G will most likely not be a high round count rifle, so I'm not worried about anything concerning that.

There is a good thread going on at 6.5 grendel about this subject. It seems that more attention has been devoted to developing anti-personal rounds in the 6.8 caliber. Quicker yaw and fragmentation for the 6.8. I believe the 110 grain Hornady open tip match have preformed the best. Given the two, from the research and questions I have asked. 6.5 Grendel is the way to go. It should penetrate better and I'm not concerned with being stuck with bullets that the military has to use. The Grendel will outshoot the 6.8 at any range. The 6.5 bullet just fly's better. Under 500 yards the 6.8 appears to offer slightly better terminal performance. I don't feel for me that that slight difference would outweigh the penetration and long distance characteristics that the Grendel offers. All from reading and none from testing on my own. I do believe that a 6.5 bullet could be constructed that would best the 6.8 lethality. One thing I found impressive is the Grendel using 144 grain bullets easily penetrated glass that was designed to stop the .308. It is a great sight, I've been a member for a little while. Lot's of great guys with a lot of knowledge.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The opinion about 6.8 being better at short range is just that, subjective opinion. I have seen no evidence to demonstrate that the 6.8 is better at any range.

As far as quicker yaw and frag: the TNT 90 and 123 SMK bullets have that taken care of.

shootin707

New to the site!
Reaction score
I would like to include myself in the group order. Personally I would want the 24" barrel/bolt, bead blasted, w/upper if option is available. If for some reason it has to be the 18", I could handle that. Let me know when and where to send payment. Please contact me if you need anything more.
Regards

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to include myself in the group order. Personally I would want the 24" barrel/bolt, bead blasted, w/upper if option is available. If for some reason it has to be the 18", I could handle that. Let me know when and where to send payment. Please contact me if you need anything more.
Regards
Sorry, but not in my group buy.
This is for active OSA members, not people who just joined to jump in on a potential group buy.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The opinion about 6.8 being better at short range is just that, subjective opinion. I have seen no evidence to demonstrate that the 6.8 is better at any range.

As far as quicker yaw and frag: the TNT 90 and 123 SMK bullets have that taken care of.

The 6.8 has performed slightly better in Gel tests. Quicker yaw and fragmentation. I still prefer the Grendel though.