8mm benchrest - doing my best

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I went on a (short) crusade to see if I can prove myself wrong and see if 8mm can be shot well: the goal to break 290 barrier.
Usual suspect - very nice M48 yugo, very good bore.
Match 1 - 283-2
Match 2 - 286-8
And here is the results from last Saturday:
i41.tinypic.com_23rltnp.jpg

291-5 !!! High 8 with the first round on third string was sure a party pooper.

Brass is made from 30-06, 23.5gn 4759, 150gn flat-base Hornady bullet.

The original barelycorn sights on the rifle are miserable. I have handcrafted a front "straight" post.
Notice 4.5mm allen wrench as a rear sight shim (rear sight doesn't flip all the way up - makes "normal" shims very hard to use).
Also notice fine windage adjustment tool (yeah, the orange hammer).
The rifle is very hard to shoot, the sight radius is short and rear sight is a sharp V that is very unforgiving both in windage and elevation: I would rate it more challenging than K31.

i39.tinypic.com_2q0vuqa.jpg

There is a $1 for a taking is you can beat my score with another 8mm in a match :P

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nice shooting!! I've never owned a M48 but I used to have a 24/47 that was accurate for what it was. I actually like the inverted V front sight, when compared to the front post of my mosins that cover the entire target at distance.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a dollar up for grabs to prove me wrong ;)

I only shoot the way I was taught, standing. The way youve got that rifle strapped down all targets should have one ragged hole.

EDIT: By the way you should get you an extra rear sight leaf and open the V notch up so you have a better sight picture.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice shooting. I have a couple K98s and a vz24 sniper. I opened up the rear sight on them to make them easier to use. The vz24 is scoped and shoots a ragged hole with 150s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom