9mm .40 .45 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a silly question this is. There is but one true self defense round.

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_55d5adac.jpg

Hmmm looks like the famous black hole bullet. The effect of shooting someone or something with that thing causes a black hole to appear and suck the surrounding area in up to 100 yrds

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one that you are accurate with. A good hit with anything is better than a miss. I personally prefer either .40 or .45 for the extra stopping power. Depending on what I am wearing and where I am going, I have been known to carry a .380. What ever you are carrying is a lot better than not carrying. If the SHTF it will be my 870 loaded with 00 or slugs for close range and my AR for intermediate range.

What is stopping power?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The permanent wound cavity varies so little between hollow points of the main calibers (9mm, .40, .45) that it makes no differnce. Whatever round you can get down range the fastest and most accurately, and with the fastest follow up shot, is the one you need to carry. Helk, there have been several situations where someone effectively deffended themselves with a .22! Whatever feels best to you is the best self defence round, period!

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 1911, and I'll freely admit it's too much gun for me. I cannot get off rapid followup shots due to recoil. About the best I can do is an aimed shot every 0.9 seconds.

So anyway, as much as I dislike the 9mm, maybe it would be a better choice for me than a .45.

Hey Pulp. I'll take that .45 off your hands. :mosh:

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The permanent wound cavity varies so little between hollow points of the main calibers (9mm, .40, .45) that it makes no differnce. Whatever round you can get down range the fastest and most accurately, and with the fastest follow up shot, is the one you need to carry. Helk, there have been several situations where someone effectively deffended themselves with a .22! Whatever feels best to you is the best self defence round, period!

I'm pretty sure .22LR is responsible for more deaths in this country than any other caliber.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9 vs. 40 vs. 45 vs. 38 vs. 357 vs. 44, etc. debate is as old as dirt. But, it's still fun to opine about, as is evidenced by the previous posts.

With the vast improvements in self-defense rounds in the past two decades, it makes less difference what caliber you shoot and more difference how well you shoot it. You can carry the biggest, baddest handgun with the hottest load the world has to offer, but it won't matter if you can't get those bad-ass rounds on target. Whatever handgun/caliber combo you shoot best is the one you should carry. Go rent some semiautos and revolvers at your local gun range and see first-hand what works best for you. Then, practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ability to stop the threat.

What is the ability to stop the threat? I mean, what gives a certain round more stopping power than another?

And what do you mean by "stop the threat"? Stop the person in his tracks? Actually knock him down? Kill him? Mortally wound him? Incapacitate him?

Latest posts

Top Bottom