9mm .40 .45 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That same effect should happen witih .40 and .45 as well.

While I don't have first hand experience of wounds caused by pistol rounds, research shows that 9, .40, and .45 are all similar in penetration and wounding effects; they all only damage what they physically touch. You'd need a much higher velocity round to create a large permanent wound cavity.

As has been stated over and over, what matters is shot placement when talking about pistol calibers. I'd rather have lower recoil and more rounds in the magazine for quicker follow up shots, which is why I like 9mm.

+1. That's the bottom line. Shot placement is what matters. But if you can do it with a bigger hole that helps..

phwillie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think size does matter and if I knew something was going to happen you bet I would be packing a 45,,,but I usually carry a very lightweight 9mm, cause I am lazy and it hides better.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think size does matter and if I knew something was going to happen you bet I would be packing a 45,,,but I usually carry a very lightweight 9mm, cause I am lazy and it hides better.
This is so wrong on so many levels ....
If you know something is going to happen - just run. If running is not an option - aka you are military or police - bring a shoulder fired gun ... pistol is just barley above a heavy rock as far as weapons go.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This kind of explains what I was trying to get at sorta . http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866

I was saying does size really matter when they ( perp ) is just feet away from you? I say no because no matter what caliber you choose ( 9mm .40 or .45 ) will either stop them from attacking or kill them. Unless they are doped up to high heaven chances are you would only need one or two shots. But as someone else said I am not willing to be the test subject on which would stop me.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of the above, plus anything between .50 down to .22. because I am of the believe that when you are in a gun fight, (and if you had to pull your gun) pistols are only for you to use in order to fight your way to the REAL gun and that is your nearest HD rifle or shotgun. Never leave home without one.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That same effect should happen witih .40 and .45 as well.

While I don't have first hand experience of wounds caused by pistol rounds, research shows that 9, .40, and .45 are all similar in penetration and wounding effects; they all only damage what they physically touch. You'd need a much higher velocity round to create a large permanent wound cavity.

As has been stated over and over, what matters is shot placement when talking about pistol calibers. I'd rather have lower recoil and more rounds in the magazine for quicker follow up shots, which is why I like 9mm.

Maybe... I just like having a .45 anyway whenever possible. You know... cause they don't make a .46

I'm strong, I can tote extra mags with lots and lots of extra boolits. :)

I'm a good shot and will do well under pressure so I'm confident in my shot placement abilities. I'd still prefer an .88 magnum though just in case I have to shoot through bricks or something.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you say it doesn't make a difference, but you shoot the same guy in the same spot from the same distance with the .45 with a similar hollow point round, the damage will theoretically sp? be greater....
Maybe, maybe not....it depends on how the bullet reacts.
The variables are so affective that personally wouldn't lay money on that argument either way. ;)

I'm pretty sure .22LR is responsible for more deaths in this country than any other caliber.
I'm not sure if that statistic is accurate...although it is often espoused.
Regardless, "death" is not the result I am seeking in a gunfight.
Rather, I desire that the BG ceases to shoot at me.....whether or not he is still alive is of less concern.

The ability to stop the threat.
Actually "stopping power" is a database compiled of real world shooting stats based on a number of criteria including caliber and shot placement.

Ok time to chime in again. To bring back my question when i first started this thread .In my opinion in self defense you are going to be uber close to the perp. Maybe I am wrong but in my thinking at a distance of a few feet my 9mm armed with 115 gr Winchester SXZ JHP should work just as good as a .40 or .45.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
When you consider variables such as bullet profile, velocity, clothing, etc....you never know. :teach:

Your caliber depends much on what you may penetrate! I'm definately not advocating the use of .22lr, statictically, they are used in more homocides!

Latest posts

Top Bottom