9mm ar pistol to sbr or...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have it in my mind I want to ultimately have an ar9 sbr, then add a can. Prefer it to take glock mags. I’m rather overwhelmed by the number of options (blow back vs piston, which assist type) and don’t know what would work best for an ar 9 pistol to start with. Or, would it be better to just go with a 300 blackout? I blame rustyzx9 for wanting a sbr 9mm with a can. His was fun to play with.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Food for thought, blowback ones have more recoil due to the weight of the buffer slamming back and forth.
I've heard they have similar recoil to a 5.56 AR (not saying a ton, but more than one would expect from a 9mm).
Piston ones are about like a rimfire.

Your "mission" would dictate the caliber.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Food for thought, blowback ones have more recoil due to the weight of the buffer slamming back and forth.
I've heard they have similar recoil to a 5.56 AR (not saying a ton, but more than one would expect from a 9mm).
Piston ones are about like a rimfire.

Your "mission" would dictate the caliber.
My mission, it’s a complete want on my end. I want to not buy more and completely different mags. Also, I want it to eventually be an sbr and suppressed.

I know enough about suppressed that might drive rear or side charging unless I want gas in the face... I think...

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cmmg and someone else does a delayed radial design, I think it’s called. It’s supposed to be a soft shooter, but pricey. I’ve shot a 4” AR9 and it does have a much sharper than expected recoil.