A few rounds thru the SAFN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just back from a quick function check of a friend's FN-49, also known as the SAFN. This one is an Egyptian contract gun chambered in 8 X 57 mm. I only fired 10 rounds thru it to check for function--it worked, mostly--but it's not for me. I have an M1A and have shot an M1 Garand, and I find both of those fun to shoot, but not so the SAFN. Anyone else have any feed back on the FN-49?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06 is on my "Top Ten Must Have" list. Why didn't you like shooting that Egyptian version, and what did you mean by it working "mostly"? What happened? Details, please :)

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06 is on my "Top Ten Must Have" list. Why didn't you like shooting that Egyptian version, and what did you mean by it working "mostly"? What happened? Details, please :)
Yeah, the Belgian and Luxembourg rifles in .30-'06 are quite desirable, as is the Argentine version in 7.62 X 51 mm with the 20 rd box magazine. "Mostly" means that one of the ten rounds in the magazine get caught, in ejection, between the bolt carrier and the forward edge of the receiver, tying the gun up. Likely the gas system just needs to be adjusted, but I have a very limited supply of 8 mm Mauser ammo on hand, and I much prefer shooting what I do have thru my '98 Mauser, so I don't see myself expending the ammo necessary to get the gas system tuned to the ammo I'm using. As to why I didn't like shooting it--my '98 Mauser has been sporterized and it is a relatively light rifle, so you would expect the recoil of the 8 mm cartridge to be stouter, say, than that of a .308 rd from an M1A. You would expect the heavier, gas-operated SAFN to be a bit softer shooting than the bolt gun, but this was not the case for me, anyway. The '98 Mauser is lighter, trimmer, and has a better trigger than the SAFN, so, given that I find very little difference in perceived recoil, I'd simply rather shoot the '98 Mauser, especially so as my ammo supply is quite limited. But don't get me wrong, the SAFN is a well-engineered, well-built gun; it's just not for me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, MM. It's interesting how a bolt-action rifle can seem to have a bit less perceived recoil than a semi-auto. I saw this not long ago when I let several people shoot a M1 Garand and a M1903A4 back to back, using the same HXP ammo. All of these people agreed the 03A4, despite weighing at least a pound less than the M1 and lacking the cushioning effect of a gas system, seemed to have less recoil. Go figure.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to purchase an Egyptian FN49 from a fellow member on here. When I took it all down, it appeared that this rifle hadn't ever been shot. I lubricated it well and fired it. Mine seemed to function fine. It ejected the cartridges about a mile away. I really didn't feel that the recoil was all that much at all. The only issue I had was with the upper hand guard coming loose during firing. It is a great and unique rifle to have in my collection. I really need to find a sling a bayonet for it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to purchase an Egyptian FN49 from a fellow member on here. When I took it all down, it appeared that this rifle hadn't ever been shot. I lubricated it well and fired it. Mine seemed to function fine. It ejected the cartridges about a mile away. I really didn't feel that the recoil was all that much at all. The only issue I had was with the upper hand guard coming loose during firing. It is a great and unique rifle to have in my collection. I really need to find a sling a bayonet for it.
Well, I'll probably give the gun another try, perhaps a mag or two after I've adjusted the gas system. The one I have was very, very dirty! I've never seen a dirtier bore. If yours is throwing the brass that far away, it is probably over-gassed. Mine also dents the ejected cartridge case upon ejection. Does yours dent the brass?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes mine does damage the body of the cases pretty good. I think the gas system is actually set correctly. I am no expert on this weapon, but from my understanding, it should eject the cartridges forward and right about 8 to 15 feet from the shooter. Mine ejects right at about 15 feet...maybe a little short of a mile. :wink2:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes mine does damage the body of the cases pretty good. I think the gas system is actually set correctly. I am no expert on this weapon, but from my understanding, it should eject the cartridges forward and right about 8 to 15 feet from the shooter. Mine ejects right at about 15 feet...maybe a little short of a mile. :wink2:
Eight to fifteen feet sounds about right. Mine was ejecting brass into some brush about 5-6 feet away; I need to shoot it out in the open next time.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a couple of mag loads thru the SAFN recently. Upon examining fired cases, which were all dented, I found that several had damage to the case rim from extraction. From small gouges in the brass to small sections of the case rim torn away, several of the fired cases exhibited signs of violent extraction. I've had the bolt apart and can see no damage to the extractor (it is easily removable). Anyone else had this happen?

Latest posts

Top Bottom