A few rounds thru the SAFN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you adjusted the gas system? Sounds like too much pressure, or the chamber may have residual varnish or lacquer from older ammo.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you adjusted the gas system? Sounds like too much pressure, or the chamber may have residual varnish or lacquer from older ammo.
Thanks! I have the rifle completely apart so it should be easy to thoroughly scrub the chamber. I'll probably dial the gas system down a bit as well. We'll see how it goes....

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one chambered in 8mm mauser that's the Egyptian contract, and it's a favorite shooting rifle of mine.

I find that with the gas port all the way open, it still ejects all nationalities of ammo. so start with the gas port completely open and leave the upper handguard off while you adjust it

It has a tendency to sometimes blow the handguard off, so make sure it's secured correctly. (I'm tempted to place a zip tie on mine when I shoot it to prevent this)

I stocked up on a lifetime supply of military surplus ammo when it was five to ten cents a round, and I avoid using problematic ammo in my semi-auto FN and Hakim, such as Turk and 1950's Yugoslavian.

I've run a few thousand rounds through mine, with no misfeeds.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checked and found the gas cylinder to be adjusted for maximum gas pressure. The rifle was extremely dirty when I got it, so perhaps the gas cylinder was adjusted to the max in order to cycle the gun in that condition. I've backed off the gas pressure adjustment, cleaned the rifle and oiled it, now I need to take it out and shoot it, perhaps this weekend.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checked and found the gas cylinder to be adjusted for maximum gas pressure. The rifle was extremely dirty when I got it, so perhaps the gas cylinder was adjusted to the max in order to cycle the gun in that condition. I've backed off the gas pressure adjustment, cleaned the rifle and oiled it, now I need to take it out and shoot it, perhaps this weekend.

More than likely, they didn't read the manual for the rifle and just fired it "as is."

Since the rifle was gunked up, I doubt they spent much time reading up on it.

I'd go ahead and vent off all the gas on your first shot and see if it cycles, then go from there.

What nationality of ammo are you planning on using?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The timing of this thread is amusing; this morning, I passed on the opportunity to acquire a Luxembourg FN-49. It was part of the desirable second contract, but wasn't in that good shape. Plus, I'd just blown a bundle on a M1A, so I wasn't in a spending mood :P

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The timing of this thread is amusing; this morning, I passed on the opportunity to acquire a Luxembourg FN-49. It was part of the desirable second contract, but wasn't in that good shape. Plus, I'd just blown a bundle on a M1A, so I wasn't in a spending mood :P
It's just me, but I like my M1A much more than the SAFN. In .30-'06, I'd prefer the Garand over the SAFN. With that said, I'd prefer the ought-six FN over one in 8mm Mauser, but the 8mm is the one I've got. I've got a feeling you're gonna love that M1A, btw.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just me, but I like my M1A much more than the SAFN. In .30-'06, I'd prefer the Garand over the SAFN. With that said, I'd prefer the ought-six FN over one in 8mm Mauser, but the 8mm is the one I've got. I've got a feeling you're gonna love that M1A, btw.

I've heard how people say they prefer the M1 to the FN-49; I've never shot the latter, but for me its acquisition would be because I don't have one. As for the M1A, this is actually my second, so I know what it's like to shoot one. This one will be made as much USGI as possible, and I'll post pics when I'm done.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The FN49 is a well made firearm that I am proud to have in my collection but there is no comparison to my M1A. I actually think I prefer the Garand over it as well. there is just not much history with the 49. If I wasn't a collector I doubt I would own one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom