A ??? for the cocked & locked aficionados...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 mag is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have kept Wilsons loaded for months with no weakening of the springs.

Keeping a load (compressed) on a magazine springs doesn't weaken them. Loading and unloading them does

in my experience, neither will keep spring tension more than a few months when kept loaded. i use metalform 7 round skirted follower flush-fit mags in my carry gun, (or Ed Brown, same thing) and Tripp Research cobra mags for 8-rounders.

nothing else stacks up, although most 7 -rounders are "ok," and i don't like trying to change mag springs frequently just to get reliable function.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my Kimber, it came with two Chip McCormick magazines. They worked fine. But when it came time to buy some extra magazines, the Wilson's just felt so much better. It was like night and day, just the feel of them. They are like holding a 1911 in one hand (fine machined firearm), and a Glock (plastic toy) in the other. :D

They have worked superbly, and are my primary magazines now. I have 5 of them. And the CMs are relegated to range duty.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eric at OPS started me on Wilson mags... had no clue why, I just kept buying one each trip to OPS. until they ran out.... so I stopped going by OPS...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used CMCs and Wilsons for years now and haven't had any problems with either through many thousands of rounds. You do have to change the springs on the Wilsons but so what? They're a good mag and Wilson has sent me new ones when J.P. bent the lip on one at the range. :D They definately last longer than a few months.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You ever use any of the ACT-Mag/Novak mags? I have a buddy who swears by them (cause they are cheap), and I cant bring myself to buying one (cause theyre cheap).

I use Novaks and ACT's, and I never have any issue with any of them... I probably have 14 or 15, and one Kimpro. Most I keep loaded all the time, and each one has several hundred rounds through them...

To me, either them, the Wilson's, McKormic... any of the major brands are generally going to be reliable.

Do remember though, mag springs need maintenance too... but maybe once every couple years at most.
Eric at OPS started me on Wilson mags... had no clue why, I just kept buying one each trip to OPS. until they ran out.... so I stopped going by OPS...

That's cause he's sponsored by Wilson. :) But they are good mags.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have 1 unknown mag and 3 Checkmate mags. The Checkmates are SS, hybrid feed lips, and their "high-performance" spring (supposedly a wilson 11lb from what others say). From what I can tell the Checkmates feed flawlessly and haven't had any issues with them at all.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I'll probably go with the Wilsons, just because the majority here like 'em.

Now then. Here's another ??? for you. I hate to hi-jack the thread, but it's still a 1911 question and besides...it's my thread! :D

This Smith & Wesson 1911Sc has a FLGR. I hate FLGRs. Will a regular government model (5 incher) rod and plug work in this Commander length pistol? I looked on Wilson's website and they don't list a Commander length short rod. Just a Government length.

Latest posts

Top Bottom