A ??? for the cocked & locked aficionados...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 mag is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave away a practically new 47D because it wouldn't function reliably. I use the CMC powermags now. It's going to depend on what the gun likes. My Taurus and the wifes springer both run well on the CMC's and neither one functioned well with the 47D.

YMMV

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes........

Ok. I'll probably go with the Wilsons, just because the majority here like 'em.

Now then. Here's another ??? for you. I hate to hi-jack the thread, but it's still a 1911 question and besides...it's my thread! :D

This Smith & Wesson 1911Sc has a FLGR. I hate FLGRs. Will a regular government model (5 incher) rod and plug work in this Commander length pistol? I looked on Wilson's website and they don't list a Commander length short rod. Just a Government length.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost everyone I know who runs a single stack 1911 hard and is concerned primarily with reliability, runs a 7 round mag.

Some say McCormick, some say Wilson but all say 7 not 8 rounds.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost everyone I know who runs a single stack 1911 hard and is concerned primarily with reliability, runs a 7 round mag.

Some say McCormick, some say Wilson but all say 7 not 8 rounds.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

Most excellent point and one I didn't think about since I don't use a 1911 for carry. But I do shoot comps with mine occasionally and only load 7 rounds in all but my 1st mag because I don't want to have to shoot to slidelock to reload. I did load them up the other day and while transitioning to another shooting box I dumped 2 rounds into the berm just so I could reload while on the move. On that particular stage I needed the extra round to be there, but in a self defense situation this is not possible.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 8 rounders usually can't be loaded into the gun unless at slidelock. I'd carry 47ds loaded with 7 in each reload.

Well, I'm just guessing here, but chances are, the spring in a 7 rounder has maybe an extra coil in it that the 8 rounders don't have to accomodate the 8th round...right?

Therefore, the spring in a 7 rounder is gonna be a little stouter than an 8 rounder...right? Will the 7 rounders seat ok with the slide closed? Or do you hafta download them to 6 rounds? :anyone:

If this is the case, why not just buy 8 rounders, fill to capacity and not top off the mag when you charge the pistol? Then, you can do one of two things. Load your other mag(s) to capacity and only change mags when the pistol is dry, hereby eliminating the tactcal reload, or do I download 8 rounders to 7 shots so they will seat properly?

Damn! Maybe I oughta not go with a 1911 after all! This ******** sounds like more trouble than it's worth! :ugh2: You don't have this kind of trouble with Glock magazines. :rolleyes2

I'm just sayin'! :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom