A Memorial Day tribute to my Great-Grandfather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just put the finishing touches on a Memorial Day project for my Great-Grandfather who served during WWII with the 96th Infantry Division. All of the items are original WWII period pieces with the exception of the dog tags and chain which are reproductions and the ribbon bars which are modern government replacement pieces. None of the items actually belonged to my Grandfather...I've just slowly purchased them at antique shops and online for display purposes. The case will be displayed on a table top in my office along with the rest of my militaria collection.

Medals (left to right: slot brooch Purple Heart, Asiatic Pacific Campaign, slot brooch Bronze Star, slot brooch Good Conduct, American Campaign, slot brooch American Victory):

Sterling silver rifle marksman badge:

Sterling silver pin-back Combat Infantry Badge:

Ribbon bar rack (lower right bar is for liberation of the Philippines, single bar is a Presidential Unit Citation for the 96th's actions during the Battle of Okinawa):

382nd distinctive unit insignia attached to overseas cap with light blue (infantry) piping:

Infantry collar disks:

96th division (rare greenback patches) and post-war private purchase lapel pin:

PFC stripes:

Repro type 3 dog tags and repro M1940 dog tag chain:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CIB speaks volumes. Great display.

Thanks everyone.

The CIB and the Purple Heart are definitely my favorite pieces in the display. I'm still missing an original Philippine Liberation medal which are expensive and hard to find. I don't believe that my Grandfather ever actually received his which was fairly common with the PL medals.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.

For Mothers Day, my son gave his Mom, her Dad's VFW medals in a shadow box. He recently passed away this year. He was past president of MWC VFW back in the 70's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom