A question for the S&W gurus...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I picked up an all stainless steel Smith & Wesson J frame model 640 NO DASH Centennial in .38 Special.

I sports a neat serial number, CEN13xx and it also has "TESTED FOR +P+" printed inside the frame when you swing open the cylinder, on the bottom just above the trigger guard.

It also has a red ramp front sight. No I'm not talking about some red fingernail polish smeared across the ramp, I'm talking a bona-fide red ramp insert.

In all my years, I've never seen these markings or an actual red ramp insert on a J frame before. Anybody else?

I think the CEN serial number prefix on a Centennial revolver is pretty cool. :thumb:

And no, for you non Smith & Wesson guys out there, the J frame "Centennial" is not some limited edition or something. It's a style of revolver just like the Bodyguard and Chief's Special, so the CEN prefix isn't reserved just for this type of revolver.

I know, I know...pics would help, but - you know me. :rolleyes2

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own one of the CEN prefix 640's that I bought new. It came in the one piece box, with the smooth high horn grips and the "Tested for +P+" electro-etch marking at the bottom of the frame cylinder window. I traded it away to a friend who really wanted it. I likewise really wanted a gun he had. We struck a deal.

I've since acquired another 640 no-dash to repair my tottin' collection. No electro-etch marking on it for +P and its a B-series serial.

I've never seen a factory 640 with a red ramp front sight. Anytime I've seen S&W factory install a red ramp, it's always been with a white outlike rear; sort of a factory package job, usually with target stocks.