A Review of the S&W Model 681

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Smith & Wesson model 681 is the very weapon I took with me to CLEET way back in the summer of 1990. I qualified with it the very first time with a 78.

After a few other qualifying runs, my score climbed every time to the mid 80's and finally to my best score which was somewhere in the upper 90's.

Mine was actually shooting to the right just a little bit, so I told the coordinator, Glen McEntire about it and he said, "ok, lets go see the gunsmith. He can sight it in for you."

I said, "sight it in? But it's a fixed sight gun."

He smiled real big like the cat that just ate the canary.

We walk into the gunsmith's shop, McEntire told the smitty, "hey this guy's revolver needs sighted in." The smitty grabbed a piece of a wooden broom handle, laid the gun down on his bench and proceeded to pound on the barrel of the gun with the broom handle! :ooh2:

I said, "hey, HEY, HEY!!! What in the hell are you doing?!" :scream:

Hey pulled a bright and shiny Smith & Wesson glossy blued model 27 with a 3.5 inch barrel out of his holster, laid it down in front of me and said, "if I leave a single mark on this hogleg, that 27 is yours."

I told him, "pound away my good man!"

After he was finished, it shot spot on and no, there wasn't a mark on it anywhere.

I miss that ol' magnum. Hell...I miss 'em all. :cry3:

I can't stop laughing now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a S&W 686 that was used by OSP(ok state pen)
Shouldnt have sold that one.

you and me both !!!! I had a 686 no dash, had it for 13 years and only fired it maybe 50 rounds... bought it used for 180 at a pawn shop back in the day, sold it on GB because I didn't use it much....... Kick myself everytime I see one similar

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice S&W! I'd call it a keeper too, I'm liking the lanyard loop. Well done! I've got two "keeper" revolvers, one is my S&W 629 V-Comp and the other my Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100.

I would love to get a stainless S&W 64-1 or 65 (can't remember which is the right model) OHP .357 magnum model with the badge on the side plate, I've wanted one since I first saw my first trooper as a child.

This is my first and only (so far) S&W wheelie gun but she is spectacular! S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum currently equipped with a Trijicon RMR. The action is absolutely fantastic, as all PC guns are from what I've heard, and the accuracy is amazing. The recoil and muzzle flip are very controllable with the compensator attached. This gun sort of ruined me, I love my Ruger's but S&W's PC revolvers are so sweet you can't have just one. I've already decided, should finances ever allow, that a S&W 627 V-Comp is necessary to keep my 629 V-Comp company. There's also a S&W 460V on my radar...girl has to have dreams you know.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not aware of a 3" 681 ever leaving the factory, but at one time during the Clinton administration S&W did make a 3" 686 for the Customs service. And if I am not mistaken they still make a 2 1/2" 686.

Personally, I prefer the 4" myself.

Oh, and rather than surplussing them, the Customs service melted them down. :puke:

I think they made 3000 and only 1500 went to the customs service. The other 1500 are floating around somewhere. I missed on the other day.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a nice S&W! I'd call it a keeper too, I'm liking the lanyard loop. Well done! I've got two "keeper" revolvers, one is my S&W 629 V-Comp and the other my Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100.

I would love to get a stainless S&W 64-1 or 65 (can't remember which is the right model) OHP .357 magnum model with the badge on the side plate, I've wanted one since I first saw my first trooper as a child.

This is my first and only (so far) S&W wheelie gun but she is spectacular! S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum currently equipped with a Trijicon RMR. The action is absolutely fantastic, as all PC guns are from what I've heard, and the accuracy is amazing. The recoil and muzzle flip are very controllable with the compensator attached. This gun sort of ruined me, I love my Ruger's but S&W's PC revolvers are so sweet you can't have just one. I've already decided, should finances ever allow, that a S&W 627 V-Comp is necessary to keep my 629 V-Comp company. There's also a S&W 460V on my radar...girl has to have dreams you know.

That's an interesting handgun. I have the standard 627. I put Pachmayr Compacs on mine as I do with nearly all of my S&W RB wheelguns. The Model 65 in my avatar is the exception.

Oh, I forgot: My model 686 has Hogue Bantams.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my 681.

IMG_0270 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom