A rifle for me grandson...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 isn't much more recoil than a .22lr. I have a Savage Axis and a Ruger American Predator both in .223. Both are very pleasant to shoot.

With the right bullet, I’ve killed dozens of deer with the .223 round.
Best one out there for a new shooter but make sure the shooter is totally familiar with the anatomy of a deer and the shot placement if the animal is quartering away or towards to get the bullet into the kill zone and not the gut.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw this in the Bass Pro/Cabelas paper. Looks like it may be for the week of Thanksgiving.
Edit: The $315 is Black Friday only.
22882254-14F8-432C-ADDA-E3974302B932.jpeg

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Started my grandson and granddaughter both off with Rossi single shots in 243. He’s killed 6 deer and will be 14 in December. Now he has a 243 bolt action and sometimes uses his dad’s AR. His sister still prefers her Rossi and has killed 3 deer so far. She passed this year because she didn’t find one bigger than the one her brother had already bagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this in the Bass Pro/Cabelas paper. Looks like it may be for the week of Thanksgiving.
Edit: The $315 is Black Friday only.
View attachment 181031

This looks like a good deal.

If those are available in 7.62x39, that's what I'd pick.

I still think the 7.62x39 would thump him too hard.

I know you guys are thinking I'm exaggerating about his stature, but he is super scrawny.

IMG956240.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a Crickett .223? [emoji16]

Found this online...

Savage Axis II XP Centerfire Rifle Package

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/sava...&ranSiteID=PPkX79_c.b0-8rPBQJmN38vgrSOJe7Pm2A

I hope you find a good one for him.

Too bad you didn't get in on those deep discount rifle deals that WM had a while back.

Maybe someone here that bought a couple of extras back then can help you out with a rifle for this young fellow.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This looks like a good deal.

I still think the 7.62x39 would thump him too hard.

I know you guys are thinking I'm exaggerating about his stature, but he is super scrawny.

View attachment 181038

I built a 7.62x 39 bolt gun for my youngest, many years ago. The first time he used it, it was almost too much. Two years later I was building another rifle for him because he'd outgrown it.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage makes a solid gun although I would pony up and get the non-entry level gun. My girls started off with a .243. It does a number on whitetails but shot placement is crucial.(isn’t it always) My oldest hit a nice buck a bit forward once. It should have killed the deer but it didn’t. I moved up to a 7mm08. Soft shooting round that is a bit more forgiving with shot placement. My youngest had a similar shot this year and the buck walked 25 yards and dropped. Another idea is the 6.5 cm. I wouldn’t overlook the 6.5 cm as one can normally find ammo everywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom