A rifle for me grandson...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. :wave:

My grandson Tater just turned 10 years old and he wants to start deer hunting. Therefore, he needs a good rifle. He has a .22 that he's pretty proficient with, but obviously a .22 isn't a good choice for whitetail.

He's pretty scrawny, so I'm thinking a bolt action over lever action. I'm not a rifle guy, so I don't know know what a good round for deer would be with a light recoil and close range, like within 75-100 yards.

Help me out guys. He has $300 to spend. If he finds something he really likes for a few dollars more, ol' grandad will help him out, of course, but he wants to do this on his own.
PM sent

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PM replied to. Thanks for the offer, Bob. :thumb:

UPDATE: One of our members here, graciously offered up a brand new in the box Remington 770 bolt action, youth model, with a scope, chambered in .243 for an outstanding price. We are meeting up today. I'm so excited! My grandson is buying his very first gun, WITH HIS OWN MONEY!

I'm so happy for him. I feel just like a virgin on prom night. :w000t:

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all who offered up suggestions and some of their own rifles for sale to me. I'm comforted knowing that my OSA family, that I've been a member of for over 14 years, came thru for my young grandson for his very first REAL hunt. Thanks a million guys (and gals). :thanku:

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might add, he fired his step-dad's .270 over the weekend. While he wasn't crazy about the recoil, he hit the target dead center. So I'm convinced if he can hit with a .270, then he'll do just fine with a .243.

I see some succulent backstraps in my near future! :rubhands:

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have s single shot Bakial 243 Hammer forged “ twist” barrel synthetic stock, scope or with scope mount for your scope. Had maybe 6 rounds through it Recoil pad is extra nice too. Beautiful gun. Can send you pics.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have s single shot Bakial 243 Hammer forged “ twist” barrel synthetic stock, scope or with scope mount for your scope. Had maybe 6 rounds through it Recoil pad is extra nice too. Beautiful gun. Can send you pics.

That's alright, we got him fixed up. Picking it up this morning. :thanku:

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first hunting rifle was a REM 700 in 243 and I still use it to this day. It’s a great low recoil flat shooting round, and will take down just about any game in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom