A sneak peak at my latest project...BCD 4 K98k.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job so far on that K98k! You do way more than I would in the way of restoration, given my lack of patience.

If you're looking to convert an IHC Garand or S&W 5906 into cash for the upcoming baby, I'd be interested :D

Thanks Todd.

If I had an IHC you might have to pry it from my cold dead hands...lol. :wink2: An IHC has always been the rifle at the top of my wish list from day one, but I haven't ever been able to get my hands on one. I've whittled down my collection so far that it will be tough letting some things go if it comes to that. Having another kiddo around will definitely make it worthwhile though.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still slowly making some headway and decided to take a few photos this afternoon. The rifle is not finished as I'm still trying to find a matching stamped front band and a bayonet lug pin. The stand-in front band that is currently installed matches fairly well, but it is unfortunately off of an Israeli rifle as it has an extra hole on the left side. I ordered a lug pin from Numrich, but it's too large in diameter and doesn't fit the bayo lug or the hole in the stock. I've added an original front sight cover and a repro sling that I aged. I also have an original sling on hand (WWII Digger hooked me up with both), but it is in need of a keeper.

i.imgur.com_Kho7iT8h.jpg

i.imgur.com_xZRYYRWh.jpg

i.imgur.com_fbYQxYgh.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The repro sling was a typical cheapie with black painted hardware and a shiney tan painted on finish...exactly like the one below.

i.imgur.com_fzL8yPUh.jpg

Aging the sling was pretty simple. I just stripped the coating on the finished leather by soaking the sling in isopropyl alcohol. After completely stripping the finish, I dyed the sling with Feibing's tan leather dye, applied two light coats of neatsfoot oil after dry, and finished with Pecard's antique leather dressing. The black paint on the hardware was removed with acetone and the metal was darkened with Birchwood Casey brass black (it leaves a dull gray finish on steel). The buckle was already oxidized under the paint which helped out a ton with the aged look.

i.imgur.com_HtpldOfh.jpg

i.imgur.com_iy8yp47h.jpg

i.imgur.com_L8y9auyh.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Below is a link to additional photos. I didn't see it until viewing the photos, but it looks like I missed a couple areas of rust on the bolt sleeve and rear of the cocking piece. Gotta get those areas cleaned up now. I finally found what looks to be a correct replacement front band with original matching finish and no serial numbers so the stamped Israeli band that is currently installed has it's days numbered. :)

Here's the additional photos...click on the photos for larger resolution images.

Mauser 98K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom