Academy and AR's, mags, and ammo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
drum roll please!!!! i want 22lr! hey on the plus side, maybe this will make ammo carton in 22 size go up, instead of down...

anyone seen those bucket of brass remmy golden bullets before the scare locally? (okc)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
A one box limit is too low. Its not worth stopping by for one box.

Exactly. 15+ miles for 20 rounds? I have decided to stick with Walmart these days. At least 3 boxes (60 rounds) makes it a worthwhile trip and I can pick up some necessities there.

Your right...... Having ammo in stock for people who shoot is a stupid idea.

I got the one box per caliber limit today at WM in Fort Smith. The printed sign said 3 boxes per day, but handwritten on the bottom of each sign (and there were several) was "1 box per caliber." I didn't even bother... all they had I wanted was .223 PPU and I didn't even think it was worth my effort to run my card for a single box. Bleh. They had maybe 20 boxes on the shelf... guess no one else thought it was, either. I don't mind limiting amount so much, but make it a reasonable amount, IMO. One large box, like the 250-round UMC pistol calibers, or the 550 or 1000 .22LRs, or 2 or 3 100-round boxes of major pistol calibers, or an equivalent couple hundred rounds of smaller boxes. Just make it reasonable to make it worth my while to even bother coming in to look... JMNSHO.

Sure, it's nice to keep the shelves stocked, but damn... for me to drive all the way over there, park in BFE, walk from the far reaches of nether-yon to the distant back corner of the store for sporting goods and be limited after all that to 20 rounds (less than a full standard-sized magazine!) of ammunition... ugh. What a PITA.

In my opinion, it's actually ENCOURAGING people to stockpile! Think about it... if you get a new gun, or you decide on the spur of the moment to go shooting today, and you need to run by WM or Academy to pick up a few rounds, that's exactly what you're gonna get... a VERY FEW rounds! Seriously? Decide to take your kid to the range to shoot the .223 or .22 and haven't stockpiled in advance? "Here ya go, mate... 20 rounds. Have a great day at the range!"

A great day??? Try 5 minutes!

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
drum roll please!!!! i want 22lr! hey on the plus side, maybe this will make ammo carton in 22 size go up, instead of down...

anyone seen those bucket of brass remmy golden bullets before the scare locally? (okc)

academy had two of those buckets around Christmas time 65.00 should have bought them.

Last edited:

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your right...... Having ammo in stock for people who shoot is a stupid idea.

1 box of ammo will not do much for a guy who actually does want to go out and shoot. As someone else stated that will last all of about 5 minutes. I can understand a limit, but it must at least be reasonable such as 3 boxes of the same caliber. Less than 60 rounds of 1 caliber isn't enough for a shooting session. And I seriously doubt if any of you take less than that with you to the range.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are 5 150rd boxes of Hornady 223 ammo at 81st. They are asking $90 (0.60rd). They also have some federal 556 as well for $12.99/box.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 box of ammo will not do much for a guy who actually does want to go out and shoot. As someone else stated that will last all of about 5 minutes. I can understand a limit, but it must at least be reasonable such as 3 boxes of the same caliber. Less than 60 rounds of 1 caliber isn't enough for a shooting session. And I seriously doubt if any of you take less than that with you to the range.
I dont see a problem with the limit. It only takes a couple rounds to dial a gun in, use 22lr for spraying.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont see a problem with the limit. It only takes a couple rounds to dial a gun in, use 22lr for spraying.

Then we will just have to agreed to disagree.

If I am taking my ARs to the range with my wife, even if we only shot once per minute which clearly isn't going to be the case, 1 box would last only 10 minutes. It takes us 45 minutes to drive to the range each way. Do you not see the issue?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that one case equals a box under Walmart's restrictions. I wonder if the same applies to Academy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom