Academy and AR's, mags, and ammo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The suits at Academy obviously held a meeting, and they are obviously idiots. I'm pretty bent out of shape with their new policy, and fake full counter of ammo. IT is either ammo no one shoots, or ammo they won't sell you.

I mean really, what can someone do with one 20-round box of 223, or one 50-round box of 22LR? Thats not even enough to make a trip to the range worth it. Walmart has a three-box limit, and Bass Pro a ten box limit. Both are more reasonable. Academy has lost me as a customer over this. When the dust settles, I will not be returning to their stores.

Good, dont need ya. They have a right to set their store policy accordingly. I for one applaud them because I was actually able to get some 22lr for my boys to shoot out of their Christmas gifts and I for one will always shop at Academy. Its people like YOU that are the problem.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The golden bullets are okay but still more duds per box than the Federal and Winchester bulk packs I buy now. Don't get me started on the thunderbolts from Remington... I got a brick of those one time with a pistol I bought that was supposed to feed better with LRN instead of the HP's I had at home and after 120-150 rounds my accuracy was non existent and inspecting the targets my bullets were key holing really bad. After inspecting the gun discovered my barrel was so clogged with lead that I couldn't even get a cleaning rod down it without tapping it with a mallet with no brush on just to knock the hunks out. Figured it mighta been the gun so I tried it in two of my 10/22's with the same results after 100-200 rounds. Between that and a 597 I bought new back in 04 that had mag feed problems with every mag I tried I won't touch their rim fire stuff. I did hear that the 3rd revision they made to the mags was supposed to have cured it but I had sold it by then and the fact it needed 3 revisions speaks volumes.
this just amazes me! i have never had any issues in the 5-10 rimfires ive shot em through. numerous buck marks, ruger mark 2, sig mosquito, wait, that thing didnt like anything. multiple p22s, sp22, rifles etc. sorry to hear of your woes, but i have neeeever experienced that!

so whats the line etiquette like? yall wear the osa hats? we need someone to show up and start sellin bbq outta a roach coach or something! coffee, something!

as far as the limits go, at least you can get some and they havent quadrupled price! capitalism folks, this is how it works, if ya dont like it, go to russia where they are all mad cause they cant get TP... 1 week the grocery store has apples, the next it has oranges. its the slow reaction of retailers that caused this. and folks not having enough on hand. how many gun runs do we need in 6 years until we figure out how its gonna play out? mgr at walmart the other day said a guy in mwc bought $2200 in 22 ammo the day afte rthe shooting... supply will catch up with demand, IN A YEAR! so be patient, and dont ever get caught with your pants down again!

cervx, glad ya could make it out there, that is just a terrible thought! i reload everything but 22, and having kids with presents and no bullets is terrible!!

Reaction score
To each their own on the 1 box limit. It is great for those that need 1 box to occasionally go shoot. Unfortunately, they will always be short on ammo every time this happens. You can't stock up with a 1 box limit. However, I can also see the point of those that are angry that they can't find anything. I, for one, will not be making any trips for ammo at Academy anymore just to HOPE they have 1 box. I will still shop there and occasionally stop in to check for other things and glance at the ammo.

One last thought. if you are only able to get 1 box and you don't have anymore ammo, perhaps you really should NOT be shooting that and save it in case you REALLY need it. LOL :fullauto: You might need that 50 rd box of 22 to hunt some squirrels or rabbits if our grocery stores are empty! You never know! :saywhat: :homer: There is nothing wrong with stocking up. (I don't mean hoarding 10k rounds of .22)

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bet you guys had an absolute blast with 50 rounds. Academy's policy is ridiculous compared to other retailers. I would buy something from Dicks before I would go back to Academy. I don't know how to say something any worse than that, but its nice you think I'm a problem for the sport. Yeah, its all me baby. ;)

Also, like any responsible citizen, I have my reserve stash of ammo, but when I want to go out and shoot, I will typically buy what I shoot that day. So any of you losers care to answer the question- What do you do with one box of ammo? The policy is not helpful to anyone.

It helps cut down the people waiting outside till they open and buying all of it and selling it for an outrageous price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom