Accuracy training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this or not, but hopefully it is. I've been around guns all my life and have spent a ton of time at the range. One thing that I've never really learned is how to really be accurate. Or, for that matter, what exactly to expect out of each of my guns, as far as accuracy is concerned. I was wondering if there are any training programs in the area that focus on the accuracy aspect of firearms. I know that there are plenty of training programs focusing on self defense and "tactical" situations, and I hope to take some of those in the future. But what I'd really like to take is some sort of class that would help me work on my accuracy.

The longest shots I've ever taken are around 200 yards with an AR and a .308 bolt gun. I did fairly well, but I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement. Also, when I am shooting my pistol, I typically shoot at 10 yards and under. Once I get out past that 10 yards, my grouping definitely starts opening up. I've never been in the military (actually kind of regret that) and most of the people I shoot with are all self taught like myself.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any training programs around the OKC area, or even the greater OK area, that focus on accuracy?

Thanks in advance,
Beardking

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One word, Appleseed.

I too had been around guns all my life and shot expert every year I was in the military. I never realized what I didn't know about marksmanship until I went to an Appleseed event.

Check their schedule or hit up Henschman here on OSA, he is the State Coordinator.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One word, Appleseed.

I too had been around guns all my life and shot expert every year I was in the military. I never realized what I didn't know about marksmanship until I went to an Appleseed event.

Check their schedule or hit up Henschman here on OSA, he is the State Coordinator.

This ... and to that I would add find a USPSA match in your area and go. Don't go and watch. If you do you will do one of two things: 1. Practice like crazy for a month and then go shoot one ... or 2. Find every reason under the sun not to shoot a match until you are "good enough". Then you will never get to one.

I did the first ... the vast majority of folks I have invited to matches over the years have opted for the second. :(

Take your gun ... get a holster, a couple of mag holders and extra mags and some ammo and go ... In fact, I believe GC and Jedabug are planning on being at the match at OKCGC in February ... PM me if you'd like and I can give you GC's number. You guys can text and we'll get you fixed up ...

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one suggestion i have concerning handguns is: bench shoot your gun. put your gun on a good bench rest and shoot at a cross hair target at about 8 feet. if your on, take it out to 15 feet, if on, take it out further.

if not on at 8-9 feet, then the problem is how you are holding the gun or pulling the trigger, or using and keeping your signts on target when you pull the trigger or closing your eyes when shooting. if you are consistently off and hitting the same area, there are defined problems and fixes that you can work on.

at 8 feet you should be hitting the cross hairs every time, maybe at most an inch off. if you are not on at 8 feet then i would identify you problem and work on it before trying to shoot a farther distances.

I have instructed students that just are not accurate with handguns. they have shot and shot and just cannot shoot a consistent group. distance is really a problem for them. this may sound weird but some personalitites are just not very good shots. What i have seen is that people with sensentive personalities have trouble being accurate.

I also think your ability to concentrate plays a big part in shooting handguns. i have had students that did OK for about 20 bullets and then their consistency just went down hill and they never got back to shooting accurately.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One word, Appleseed.

I did check out the schedule on the Appleseed website and it looks like this weekend is the only event scheduled for OK so far. I don't know if more will be scheduled as the year goes on, but I'll keep a look out for them.

Are the Appleseed's only ever done using .22 LR?

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ... and to that I would add find a USPSA match in your area and go. Don't go and watch. If you do you will do one of two things: 1. Practice like crazy for a month and then go shoot one ... or 2. Find every reason under the sun not to shoot a match until you are "good enough". Then you will never get to one.

I did the first ... the vast majority of folks I have invited to matches over the years have opted for the second. :(

Take your gun ... get a holster, a couple of mag holders and extra mags and some ammo and go ... In fact, I believe GC and Jedabug are planning on being at the match at OKCGC in February ... PM me if you'd like and I can give you GC's number. You guys can text and we'll get you fixed up ...

Are they planning on going to the IPSC, ICORE or Steel Challenge match next month?

I've always wanted to go to one of those matches, but I've always taken the 2nd option you listed (without even going and watching). My lack of confidence in my accuracy really kicks my backside when I start thinking about doing any of those. :-)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the Appleseed's only ever done using .22 LR?

Nope. .22s are popular, but you'll see everything. I earned my Rifleman patch with a 5.56mm AR15. There was a guy shooting a M1 Garand, a couple other ARs and even a bolt action Mauser along with the .22s during my class.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they planning on going to the IPSC, ICORE or Steel Challenge match next month?

I've always wanted to go to one of those matches, but I've always taken the 2nd option you listed (without even going and watching). My lack of confidence in my accuracy really kicks my backside when I start thinking about doing any of those. :-)

IPSC. DON'T let your lack of confidence keep you from shooting a match. Every single person there was a noob at one time. I used to joke with Wizard that I was battling him for last place when we first started shooting. He and I both were MUCH better shooters when we stopped doing matches ... Even GC, who is a damned good shooter in his own right, improved.

You can't improve, or learn, things you are won't try -- just go do it. You can thank me later. :wink2:

Btw, steel challenges were my personal favorites ... unless an IPSC match had a Texas Star ... Man, what a rush!! :D

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Heck yes we are!!!
I ordered some gear this morning. I'M SO EXCITED .....as long as Texas keeps it's Star hahah

Sent from the Armory

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And it's like talking to a woman, you'll never get anywhere if you don't approach, I'm going with option 3. Get some gear and go shoot.
I have no problem with you coming out and I'm sure GC wouldn't mind either. Just look up the rules and find out what division you want to shoot.

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom