Accuracy training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ipsc isnt going to to do a thing for your accuracy if you dont have, practice , and understand the fundamentals of marksmanship.
In fact, it may satisfy your urge for accuracy by intoxicating you with the lure of speed.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ipsc isnt going to to do a thing for your accuracy if you dont have, practice , and understand the fundamentals of marksmanship.
In fact, it may satisfy your urge for accuracy by intoxicating you with the lure of speed.
I agree BUT it'll be fun!! Haha

Sent from the Armory

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree with you but it also allows you to measure your accuracy against other people and in a different way than just standing behind a bench shooting straight down a lane. Plus if you can resit the urge you don't have to go fast.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with you but it also allows you to measure your accuracy against other people and in a different way than just standing behind a bench shooting straight down a lane. Plus if you can resit the urge you don't have to go fast.
dont have to go fast? This is 'merica!!

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO shooting a IDPA or IPSC is not an exercise in improving your accuracy. It is a pratical exercise of the skills set you Currently have.

If you want to improve your accuracty, 1st) you are going to have to determine what you are doing incorrect and 2) build the skills to shoot accurately.

Find a good instructor that will work with you to identify what can be corrected and 2nd identify meaningful practice techniques and keep at these until you see the improvement.

If you cannot shoot the cross hairs on a target at 8 feet 1st from a bench rest and then 2nd free hand then what will shooting faster and under more stress (IDPA and IPSC) show you?

Practical Accuracy - are the sum total of your shots on a target reasonably accurate ( in the '0' or '1' point down rings, although none of them are bulls eye accurate) and in a reasonable amt of time. Is your shooting good enough for self defense?

Self Defense Shooting - are your 5 shots in a circle the size of a quarter or spread out in an 8" circle which in the chest of a bad guy will be meaningful.

by the way, what gun are you shooting and what is the lbs on the trigger?

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO shooting a IDPA or IPSC is not an exercise in improving your accuracy. It is a pratical exercise of the skills set you Currently have.

If you want to improve your accuracty, 1st) you are going to have to determine what you are doing incorrect and 2) build the skills to shoot accurately.

Find a good instructor that will work with you to identify what can be corrected and 2nd identify meaningful practice techniques and keep at these until you see the improvement.

If you cannot shoot the cross hairs on a target at 8 feet 1st from a bench rest and then 2nd free hand then what will shooting faster and under more stress (IDPA and IPSC) show you?

Practical Accuracy - are the sum total of your shots on a target reasonably accurate ( in the '0' or '1' point down rings, although none of them are bulls eye accurate) and in a reasonable amt of time. Is your shooting good enough for self defense?

Self Defense Shooting - are your 5 shots in a circle the size of a quarter or spread out in an 8" circle which in the chest of a bad guy will be meaningful.

by the way, what gun are you shooting and what is the lbs on the trigger?
I agree it builds your strengths and highlights your flaws.

But I am shooting a M&P 9 Pro with a 4LB pull thanks to Ol Yeller

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What sort of requirements are there for the holsters used for this? The gun that I would likely use I do have a holster for, but it's a simple OWB leather one and finding anything more for this gun might be a bit difficult.

Requirements are that the holster has to cover the trigger. A simple leather holster is fine to start out with.
Once you get a match or two under your belt, you will see what the go-fast folks are shooting and you can acquire the gear as your budget permits.

Most USPSA stages run 30 rounds or less, so bring enough mags to cover that round count, and your good to go.

You can go as simple as the rules allow, and just go out to shoot and become more familiar with your firearm. You WILL become a better shooter.

If the competition bug hits you, like most, USPSA (the match in Feb) has an scoring system to rate you as your shooting levels improves once you become a member of the organization.

You do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot at any of the OKC matches, or any of the others around the state.

There is a great group of folks that attend and shoot these matches, and are willing to help anybody.

I've seen folks that have left mags or guns at home, and had other shooters step up to loan them what is needed to shoot that day.

I left 300 rounds of ammo on the loading bench one day, and had another shooter volunteer his excess ammo.

Of course, I replaced it with new factory ammo.

Great folks. Come out and shoot! You will not regret it. :D

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Requirements are that the holster has to cover the trigger. A simple leather holster is fine to start out with.
Once you get a match or two under your belt, you will see what the go-fast folks are shooting and you can acquire the gear as your budget permits.

Most USPSA stages run 30 rounds or less, so bring enough mags to cover that round count, and your good to go.

You can go as simple as the rules allow, and just go out to shoot and become more familiar with your firearm. You WILL become a better shooter.

If the competition bug hits you, like most, USPSA (the match in Feb) has an scoring system to rate you as your shooting levels improves once you become a member of the organization.

You do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot at any of the OKC matches, or any of the others around the state.

There is a great group of folks that attend and shoot these matches, and are willing to help anybody.

I've seen folks that have left mags or guns at home, and had other shooters step up to loan them what is needed to shoot that day.

I left 300 rounds of ammo on the loading bench one day, and had another shooter volunteer his excess ammo.

Of course, I replaced it with new factory ammo.

Great folks. Come out and shoot! You will not regret it. :D
...Are you going?

And I just got some gear because I wanted to have a dedicated holster.

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually attend the OKC matches. USPSA and Steel Challenge. Hunting season is winding down, so its back to matches. :D

Planning on hitting some of the Sunday Evening matches at H&H and Wilshire ranges, as well as the USPSA and Steel at the Ponca City Range.

Occasionally wander over to the USSA in Tulsa for USPSA matches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom