Actual facts needed about storm shelters being sucked out of the ground/doors failing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moore has Experienced the most devastating tornado's in history.

We have seen posts on this forum about fiberglass shelters being sucked out of the ground, in-ground concrete shelters getting the doors sucked out, and so on.

What I'd like to see in this thread, is pictures, from this storm or any other that shows failures of storm shelters, be it in ground or above ground.

Real honest to God facts, not a report from a brother in law.

Pictures, news story's, etc.

If site management will allow it, dealers that sell shelters, should have this information at hand.

99% of the folks on this forum can't afford a $40,000 shelter, so if possible, keep it something that we can all afford, even if it involves taking out a loan from the bank. Better to have a payment, vs being dead.

This is the design of what I have.

Has there been any door failures? There were posts that said there was. Any pics?

http://www.tornadostormshelters.com/Shelter.htm

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard reports of people saying they had to hold down the latch on the door, but I doubt any shelter was sucked out of the ground.

The latch on my storm cellar door is a bear, I doubt I would have to hold it down.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you. There seem to be lots of "stories" that may or may not be true.

Plus we can hope there will be some actual engineering studies done of any shelters that failed - was the failure due to a shortcoming in design or improper installation or construction?

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rode out a smaller tornado in one like yours Dennis. My neighbors barn knocked the whirlybird off the top but that was it for damage.

Edit add: FWIW, I didn't see any reason to change the door setup during my ordeal. It held fast and didn't rattle or move any. We did get a little wet from the crazy rain angle but just enough to dampen the floor.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard reports of people saying they had to hold down the latch on the door, but I doubt any shelter was sucked out of the ground.

The latch on my storm cellar door is a bear, I doubt I would have to hold it down.

This is not the information I'm looking for.

No reports. Facts, first hand, I've lived through it, this is my shelter, or I had a shelter failure, and here are the pics.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question. I have a concrete in-ground with a steel door. If I were a welder, I might weld a eye on the inside of my door so I could hook a block and tackle to it. I've got lifting rings in the floor that I could easily use for a tie-down anchor.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fiberglass shelters in ground have concrete poured over them to keep them from being pushed out of the ground by hydrostatic pressure (water table).
If I recall correctly they put about 9 tons of concrete on mine, it's approximately an 8 ft. diameter sphere.
I do wonder about the fiberglass door though, but at least my wireless Internet connection works down there - unless something very bad happens.

Lenonthelake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered this on last tuesday, http://www.newdaytornadoshelters.com It is small, will bolt to the floor in my workshop. I also noticed on Facebook that my credit union, Communications Federal Credit Union which has offices all over the state is approving loans with .99 % APR for up to 5 years for storm shelters and installation. www.comfedcu.org/ I have financed two cars and two boats through them and they are very easy to deal with. If you give my name to the storm shelter people I get like a $ 100 referral bonus. I would like that but it is not necessary. I am an older person so it is just me, my wife, and our dog, so it will be big enough for us. If something happens that you move, it can be unbolted and moved with you. It is made of 3/8 inch steel. You might read the facts on the faq page for more information. It does comply with the Texas Tech/ national storm shelter association guidelines.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting question. I have a concrete in-ground with a steel door. If I were a welder, I might weld a eye on the inside of my door so I could hook a block and tackle to it. I've got lifting rings in the floor that I could easily use for a tie-down anchor.

Exactly the info we need to hear.

If your not a welder, a Stainless Steel eye bolt with large heavy washers, drilled through would do what your wanting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom