Actual facts needed about storm shelters being sucked out of the ground/doors failing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda related I guess, at least its an in ground shelter that floated up, it not only popped out of the ground, it popped out with around 1000#'s parked on top. By no means was this shelter installed even close to the proper way but someone must have thought it was. One thing this shows is those types of shelters can be very buoyant, with 4-6 people inside the thing it might still float up out of the ground.

View attachment 29802

the fact is: this shelter has good seams, because on the other hand it would have been full of water and not floated up.

the part that sucked: is that the shelter floated up like that.

and thats all the actual facts i can see.

:D

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened? Where did we stop building fraidy holes? Why?

A lot of it has to do with the fact that there is so little room today in yards to dig a cellar, especially in the larger citiies and towns. I was gonna put one in my backyard a few years back and found that I couldn't get a backhoe in to do the job. And, there was no way I was gonna shovel out a cellar in that clay. Almost killed myself digging a fish pond.

Way back then, most of us lived in the country or in small towns. There were no "safe" places if you didn't have a cellar. Also, the cellar served another, very important purpose, food storage as has been noted above. Today, we have refrigerators

I wound up building a safe room outside. It is steel rebar reinforced poured floor (6") and roof (4"), with the same rebar running up through hollow concrete block walls which were then filled with high density concrete. The steel door has a primary lock plus 3 seperate keyed dead-bolts. Lord help us all if there is a tornado out there bad enough to blow this guy away.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, this is the design that I have been considering. I have seen something similar outside the Lancer Gate at Tinker. Here are the improvements I would make:

Concrete vestibule over the entrance to help prevent the door from becoming blocked

Some substanial protection for the vent pipes

Solar panel to keep a trickle charge on batteries running a 12 volt system for led lights and fans

Some kind of emergency beacon system to notify first responders where I am

Since the goberment forced us to digital tv, what are people using for a portable tv in their shelters? If you are out of power or in a shelter, you have to listen to the weathermen talk about something that they are showing on tv and forgetting that some people are listening only on the radio.

They make a small, battery powered digital televsion. Best Buy usually sells them but only during tornado season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dennisshoddy, I'm sorry man.

We've jacked your thread. :oops3:

Not really, its about actual shelters, and I'm pretty sure the old wooden door shelters lost a few doors. In fact, I have to go to the farm, this weekend to start getting equipment ready for wheat harvest, and I'll get a pic of the shelter that 3 generations took shelter in.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I do for a living, as I own F5 Storm Shelters in Edmond. We have put in over 1,500 in ground garage storm shelters and close to 75 or so safe rooms. My biggest fear when I started the company was the lids getting ripped off an underground model. We had an engineer design our shelters with that in mind. We are one of the only companies that has tornado straps on the top of the shelter, under both sets of lids and a lock. I wanted to ensure our lids couldn't get ripped off. They are 1/4 plate steel and have over 7 points of contact.

I have seen some older outdoor cellars that had one small steel latch. I heard on the news one person had their lid ripped off on the news. I heard another story that 4 men kept a lid from getting sucked off. For me, the issue is too many companies even in-ground garage shelter companies use one barrel lock and just lay one lid over the other. I have been told by many people that our design seemed a bit much even by other shelter companies. I would much rather be on the too much side than be a guy on news channel 9 who got his lid ripped off or even worse killed someone due to negligence. It's an expensive business to be in that takes a fortune to run, but skimping on the locking mechanism is something we weren't going to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised this thread has gone this long considering it has the words "facts" & "sucked" in the title.

Me too, but since its such a serious subject after this disaster, its stayed on track pretty well. Other wise it may have really taken a turn for a fun thread!

Dennis, this is the design that I have been considering. I have seen something similar outside the Lancer Gate at Tinker. Here are the improvements I would make:

Concrete vestibule over the entrance to help prevent the door from becoming blocked

Some substanial protection for the vent pipes

Solar panel to keep a trickle charge on batteries running a 12 volt system for led lights and fans

Some kind of emergency beacon system to notify first responders where I am

Since the goberment forced us to digital tv, what are people using for a portable tv in their shelters? If you are out of power or in a shelter, you have to listen to the weathermen talk about something that they are showing on tv and forgetting that some people are listening only on the radio.

I like your Ideas.
I have a three point post hole digger on the tractor to put the barricade around the front door. Little rebar, and some quickcrete, and its done.

Vent pipes. They could be protected by some pipe.

I have an emergency radio/light/battery + crank generator, that can charge cell phones, but most likely, the cell towers will be gone as well, at least out here in the country, so we registered our location with the country emergency folks. If one comes through the area, they will come looking.

I read in another thread that somebody put a clothes hanger wire in one of the vents, allowing it to hook over the top and the bottom hanging into the shelter to act like an antenna. I'm going to try that tomorrow. We have zero cell reception in the shelter.

I stated earlier that I'd sent an email to KFOR about seeing some pics of the storm shelter doors blown or sucked off by the tornado, and for the second day, I've not had a response. Today I emailed Fox 25 after their morning anchors reported the same. No response from them as yet either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I do for a living, as I own F5 Storm Shelters in Edmond. We have put in over 1,500 in ground garage storm shelters and close to 75 or so safe rooms. My biggest fear when I started the company was the lids getting ripped off an underground model. We had an engineer design our shelters with that in mind. We are one of the only companies that has tornado straps on the top of the shelter, under both sets of lids and a lock. I wanted to ensure our lids couldn't get ripped off. They are 1/4 plate steel and have over 7 points of contact.

I have seen some older outdoor cellars that had one small steel latch. I heard on the news one person had their lid ripped off on the news. I heard another story that 4 men kept a lid from getting sucked off. For me, the issue is too many companies even in-ground garage shelter companies use one barrel lock and just lay one lid over the other. I have been told by many people that our design seemed a bit much even by other shelter companies. I would much rather be on the too much side than be a guy on news channel 9 who got his lid ripped off or even worse killed someone due to negligence. It's an expensive business to be in that takes a fortune to run, but skimping on the locking mechanism is something we weren't going to do.

Great info. You were typing the same time I was.

I'll have to look tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure ours has three points of contact on the lid.

I'm going to look at putting an eye bolt through the door with large washers that would attach to a floor anchor with a cable to be secondary protection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom