Actual facts needed about storm shelters being sucked out of the ground/doors failing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread Dennis. I'm not surprised those OZ shelters in Moore withstood everything. The 5x5 unit they say weighs 40,000 pounds??!?!? WOW.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much do those OZ shelters run?

As to the wood doors the wood is more pliable than steel. Don't quite know how to explain it, but if it's thick and heavy enough they are pretty dang tough and I could see in a lot of situations where it would hold better than steel. But for brute force strength and direct impact from really large objects steel would still be my choice.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much do those OZ shelters run?

As to the wood doors the wood is more pliable than steel. Don't quite know how to explain it, but if it's thick and heavy enough they are pretty dang tough and I could see in a lot of situations where it would hold better than steel. But for brute force strength and direct impact from really large objects steel would still be my choice.

i checked into them in 2004 and the 5x5 was $10,000 my in garage floor was $2700 back then,i wanted the oz but couldn't afford the price. Don Staley survived 2 tornados (direct hits) in his oz shelter and now sells them. he moved to new castle after the last time his home in moore got destroyed. he has an oz out there too

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same shelter you showed in your picture Dennis, I am not afraid of it coming apart, out of the gorund or being destroyed. I have food, water and a porta-pottie down there. I did wire it for electricity and TV, I have a TV antenna on a pole at 4 feet above the cellar and get great tv reception out here in the Bridge Creek area. Two of my neighbors have safe rooms and they feel secure in them as well. My issue with any above ground shelter is how well it will withstand being hit with a truck or car being circulated in the tornado. The same issue applies to safe rooms bolted to concrete slabs, will the bolts withstand the blow from a car or truck. I chased storms for many years and never saw a storm cellar pulled from the ground in all those years. Thanks for the post, I look forward to any concrete evidence of shelter failures. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom